Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Power cut-out + more on #04534 '01 Bullitt.

673 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  JediBullitt 
#1 ·
Okay, here's my issue. I have a black 2001 Bullitt Mustang #4534, and I'm having these weird-ass cut-out issues with it. What happens is that whenever I'm at wide open throttle, it will cut off all power and acceleration at around 4250-4500rpm, and it will surge in a way that resembles if you try to do a burnout with traction control on. Sometimes, my gauges will reset themselves, and on rare occasions, my theft light will even flash at me for 1-2 minutes and then go away. And if I stay on the throttle too long when it cuts, it will bog the motor down, and WILL NOT ACCELERATE no matter what gear I'm in, and when it does this, the motor will die if I hold the clutch in. Things to keep in mind are that the bolt that holds the COP for my #5 plug in place is broken off, and that these issues only happen when my motor has been running for awhile and is warm. If I start it up, let it run for about 2 minutes, then leave my house for work, I can rip through the gears no problem. But other than that, it'll start cutting out once the engine's temperature rises more and more. I want to do some performance modification to my Bullitt and take it to the track next year for a few 1/4 mile runs with my old man, who has a bolt-on '03 Cobra, but this is obviously hindering my progress towards that. Does anybody have ANY idea as to what is the problem with my Bullitt, and is this something I should fix before I modify my car, or will modifying it possibly help the situation?

PLEASE... any feedback/help would be appreciated GREATLY.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

See less See more
#2 ·
A few thoughts...

First, is the Check Engine light on? I know you did not mention this, and it may not be on but the computer may be storing pending codes. Only a good code scanner will show these codes and maybe even what they mean.

Also, when the probelm occurs, does the traction control light come on? I am thinking no, but it may help to locate the real problem.

Last, you noted it will only recreate these problems when the engine is at operating temp or longer. There are several temperature related sensors on our engines, and one or more may be faulty. This condition could present itself when one or more of these sensors begins to malfunction after it has heated up.

Just a few thoughts. Hope this helps.

But most important of all-
WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

#3 ·
you might try unhooking the battery and leaving it off for a few minutes and reconnect it so the computer can reset.

#4 ·
installermarc said:
First, is the Check Engine light on? I know you did not mention this, and it may not be on but the computer may be storing pending codes. Only a good code scanner will show these codes and maybe even what they mean.

Also, when the probelm occurs, does the traction control light come on? I am thinking no, but it may help to locate the real problem.

Last, you noted it will only recreate these problems when the engine is at operating temp or longer. There are several temperature related sensors on our engines, and one or more may be faulty. This condition could present itself when one or more of these sensors begins to malfunction after it has heated up.

Just a few thoughts. Hope this helps.

But most important of all-
WELCOME TO THE CLUB!
Neither the traction control or check engine lights come on when this happens. I had a guy from another Mustang forum that lives closer to me meet up with me to look at it. He's an automotive engineer for Ford, and he had the Ford scan/diagnostic tool. So we hooked that up, and all he showed was a slight voltage drop on the plug that has the bolt broken off, but nothing major. As far as the temperature sensors, where are they located at in the engine bay? You'll have to forgive me... I know a ton about cars, but not so much in the mechanical department as of yet (EPIC FAIL).

#5 ·
The two I can think of off the top of my head, is the Coolant temp sensor (locaed near the thermostat housing) and the Intake manifold air temp sensor (on the intake, close to the throttle body. Could be an oil temp sensor (not sure on this one) near the oil filter?

Generally, the computer will send out 5 volts or 12 volts and measure a resistance or voltage change from the sensor to know what is going on on that circuit. Based on that input, the computer will change fuel timing, spark timing or both to regulate what the engine is doing.

That is why I think it is a temp sensor issue. But I have been known to be wrong in the past.

#6 ·
installermarc said:
The two I can think of off the top of my head, is the Coolant temp sensor (locaed near the thermostat housing) and the Intake manifold air temp sensor (on the intake, close to the throttle body. Could be an oil temp sensor (not sure on this one) near the oil filter?

Generally, the computer will send out 5 volts or 12 volts and measure a resistance or voltage change from the sensor to know what is going on on that circuit. Based on that input, the computer will change fuel timing, spark timing or both to regulate what the engine is doing.

That is why I think it is a temp sensor issue. But I have been known to be wrong in the past.
Noted. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, and that didn't do anything. I'll look into the temperature sensor issue, but that doesn't make sense that it has this problem ONLY at WOT. But nevertheless, I will look into it. I'm kinda suspicious though... might that broken coil-on plug bolt have something to do with this problem?

#7 ·
Hard to say. Maybe. Seems to me though that a coil misfire like that would turn the check engine light on? Maybe a weak coil? I seem to remember something along the lines of higher temps taking MORE spark energy to light a cylinder, and a weak coil would do fine cold, and under low-strain times, but turn up the heat and it won't fire?

#9 ·
That's a good suggestion Greg. I forgot about that one....nice for the reminder.

#10 ·
droopysbullitt said:
Have you looked at this? http://www.bullittarchive.com/7020.htm Sounds like it could be in this area.
Oh my god man, you are a life saver. That was exactly what the problem was. I look at that wire, and it was exposed just enough on that bracket that it was grounding out. I wrapped some more electrical tape around that wire, and re-ran it over the throttle body cable and now it works just fine. Thanks a bunch! You just saved me a lot of money lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.