Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of power washing the engine compartment. Any pointers would be appreciated. What should I cover up?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Are you really sure you want to do this? Try going to the "search" button at top of screen and do a search on "engine cleaning."

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
What ever you do DON'T get water near your COP's. This obviously leads to many problems such as misfiring, and bucking, but can ultimately lead to a plug blowing out of your head ( after the water has enough time to rot away down in the plug hole). I have a good friend who is a manager tech at a ford dealer and he has replaced many heads because of water getting in there. I would say clean with a spray bottle and a brush, keeping the water to a minimum. Try compressed air too, I hit my bay often to keep dust from getting to bad. It has worked so far.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
There is no way I would power wash this area. Too many wires and sensitive electrical connections.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
power washed mine just a month or so ago, and do it a couple times a year. Makes them look so much better.

I just try and avoid spraying directly onto the COPS, air filter, altenator, serial tag, etc. Works well and keeps 'em clean.

83k miles right here, and before detailing it....

oh, and while I was at it... I did the DD Taurus as well.
80k on it too.
(crap, picture is on my home computer which is turned off ATM)
Looks better than this older picture

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
I usually use a Chemtool product to clean the nasties. Damp rag for the dust and debris like bug parts. I do not spray the cleaner on anything electrical. I'm thinking about trying the steamer, the price is right.

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
I wouldn't powerspray it, but that's just me. Invest in a steamer.

Steve K, how does power-spraying cause the spark plug blowout when it is directly linked to the threading on the plugs and in some cases, the pistons hitting the plug? I don't see how spraying it could cause that. Either way, I wouldn't power spray it...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
MustangMarkus said:
I wouldn't powerspray it, but that's just me. Invest in a steamer.

Steve K, how does power-spraying cause the spark plug blowout when it is directly linked to the threading on the plugs and in some cases, the pistons hitting the plug? I don't see how spraying it could cause that. Either way, I wouldn't power spray it...
Water works its way down the plug hole and sits in there. This rots away at the metal overtime. A good way to prevent this, and I'm sure you guys all know this, is to put di-electric grease on the COP where it seals to the head. This helps keep all moister out of there. Sorry if I came on strong or anything, I'm not trying to seem like a no-it-all. :)

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
If you want to lightly power wash, use that natural green cleaner, let it sit, then spray it off. If the engine is hot (with a few minutes to cool) the water vaporizes and dries quickly. Get it hot again following the power washer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts