Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...remember those? I was in high school when they came out in the early 1980's. From what I remember they were around $25,000 new...which was quite a bit more than a new Corvette back then. I remember drooling over a new DeLorean at a dealership in Asheville, NC as a geek-o-matic high school kid. From what I remember the DeLorean's performance wasn't that great but man did those cars look cool. Here's a link to a place in TX that specializes in selling DeLoreans...

http://www.delorean.com/preowned.asp

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I think if the company was around longer the delorean would have seen a V8 at some point. I liked the idea of the stainless steel construction. cool car.

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
54deuce said:
I think if the company was around longer the delorean would have seen a V8 at some point. I liked the idea of the stainless steel construction. cool car.
I can see that regarding the V8...especially knowing DeLorean's involvement with the early Pontiac GTO. I liked the paintless stainless steel body as well...I remember that smudges from skin oils (hands) would show up quite easily on the surface, however.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Always looked like a toaster to me, However Bev Hills Motors had a new Red Painted one in their showroom and it was very nice, A slug though

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
They have new ones you can purchase right here in Houston. The company purcahsed all of the parts from the factory so they can build a complete new one for you. They start at 57K and you can have a 197 HP engine as an option.

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RayS said:
Any idea how much it'll be with the Flux Capacitor option? :nerd:
There's always at least one wiseguy in the crowd. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
A buddy of mine has one. He bought it about 7-8 years ago. I believe it has under 20k on it. Needs to get some of the door seals and stuff replaced. Still a pretty neat car.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I thought they came with a Ford 351 option. At least I saw one with it in it.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
They weren't much of a performance car. Acceleration and handling were poor even for the time period. Early ones suffered from horrible quality and the slow operation of the power doors means you got soaked if it was raining and frozen if it was cold outside. It's not one of my favorites obviously. I read that article in the local newspaper about that company that reconditions Deloreans to better than new condition.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
The Bricklin had the ford 351w 2 brl

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
It used a Peugeot V-6 if I remember correctly. The Delorean was a rear engine car, not a mid engine, and the handling was very poor because of the weight biased rear end.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
RayS said:
Any idea how much it'll be with the Flux Capacitor option? :nerd:
It comes with the nav unit next year for about $2K. You have to pay cash before taking delivery.:badgrin:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
BigBullitt said:
I thought they came with a Ford 351 option. At least I saw one with it in it.
That's the Bricklin SV-1. SV= Safety Vehicle. They are out of business too!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Back in the day, the local Mercury dealer had on with red paint on it....Had it for a long time , then it sold...Don't know the process to paint that...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Always been a fan of the DeLorean. It must be the gullwing doors that did it for me. Too bad that everything went downhill for John DeLorean. He really was on to something with the stainless body, the look of the car, he would have just needed to bump up the power a little. It's amazing to see the interest to this day in DeLoreans and how they sell fo r $ 27-28K and up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts