Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the repost from the other thread but I wanted to see if anyone who hadn't read this had their opinions or knowledge on the subject.

I realize when I had my Lightning, it was supercharged and thus I needed to use premium for it.

However, I remember with my 98 Z28 there were several fuel map tables in the cars ECM that would be used depending on the type of fuel that you were using.

Since the Mustang has a similar coil on plug system, then wouldn't the computer automatically adjust the timing and spark based on the fuel you were using? By this I mean, the computer would sense the octane of the fuel you were using and if it was premium, it would advance the timing and spark, thus giving you more power.

Any thoughts?
I am just trying to find out myself....

Paul G.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
That's what I was assuming because I used to have a Z28 a few years back. Most of the membership seems to think that premium is a waste of money. I have been heavy on the foot this weekend to get that tank of premium burned and try regular again. I thought I had noticed some detonation with regular but I am going to try it again.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what I was wondering as well. Oh well...I will try a mid-grade and see what happens.

Paul G.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The ecu could only make use of premium gas if it had a knock sensor. This would let the ecu advance the timing to make use of the extra octane. I don't think these cars have a knock sensor. I'll know for sure when my factory manuals get it and I can start boning up on the systems of the car.

Brian

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm.....then that would be the case. I will have to get under there and check. I know of the knock sensors on my Z28 and they were very sensitive. In a few cases, a few owners changed them due to them being the cause of their lousy performance.

Have to check on this....

Paul G.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts