Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these come around all the time, but now it's my turn :).

I am looking into full exhaust for the B. I am having trouble finding H-pipes. Does SLP and/or Kooks make an H-pipe? (catted, don't want to deal with emissions stuff).
Currently looking at full SLP or Kooks LT and midpipe with the SLP Loudmouth II catback or one of the Borla catbacks.

Kooks sounds good after reading that you can do clutch work without having the LTs in the way, and I may be going with a new clutch in the future, but not definite.

Also, what cat-backs are any of you with Kooks running?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am also going with the vortech mongoose kit from MPH and the steeda power pipe. Talked to Tim Barth down there and he recommended SGS Automotive down by Harrisburg. Talked to those guys and looks like that's where I'll be getting my work done.

·
Registered
987 Posts
IMO Loud Mouths sound nasty. If u like that damn popping sound they make. Sounds like an oversized pop corn machine.
Spintech and Bassine(sp?)BX mufflers sound nice.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I've got full SLP exhaust (LT Headers, Off-Road X, LM 1 Cat-Back). Silly Loud, love it!

However f your not into the obnoxious, I highly recommend Bassani, my friend had it on his cobra and it sounded awesome!!!!

If your looking into LT's you can only use the SLP's with their X-Pipe so keep that in mind, and also be prepared to drop some big coin on the install......

Good choice on MPH btw!

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
MPH is your best bet for the Supercharger kit. thats where most of us have gotten ours.

As for the exaust. If you like loud, throaty and poping (drool) than SLP or Kooks headers with the respective H-pipe (both make one to fit their headers) and a SLP LM1 cat back. For the not so loud but still throaty there is the Bassani Cat back and the Borla Stinger cat back.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

Still going to think about it for a few days as I'm swamped with other things to do. I called up Kooks and SLP and they do not make a catted H-pipe to fit their LTs, so I will probably wind up getting LTs with the respective x-pipe.

I also hear that BBK is less expensive and can still produce the power, they also have catted H-pipes? How do they compare with the SLP and Kooks?

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I have BBK longtubes and have had them now for 5 years. I have been very happy with them. I also have a BBK catted H-pipe but I never put it on the car. I'm running a Dr. Gas O/R X-pipe, but got the catted H just in case I needed it for an inspection. It is still new in the box in my attic.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have the Bassanni Catted X pipe on my car along with the Bassanni cat back and love the tone. Not obnoxious but real throaty under load. PS Im gonna be selling my Bassanni Catted X pipe since I just picked up LT'S and a new mid pipe. PM me if yer interested. $150 plus shipping.
Thanks
Wes

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
My son has a Bassani catted X pipe with the MRT Max Thunder catback on his Mach 1. It sounds awesome!!!! That's one of the best sounding exhaust systems I've heard. Personally, I like the sound of a catted H pipe, and I bet it would sound really good with the MRT Max Thunder catback. If I was changing my exhaust, that's the combo I would use. Check their website to see if they have any sound clips.

·
Car Whisperer
20,881 Posts
only thing about BBK LT's I heard is that you can't do tranny or clutch work without removing one of them or at least loosening one.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
DragonBullitt said:
only thing about BBK LT's I heard is that you can't do tranny or clutch work without removing one of them or at least loosening one.
I think that is pretty much the case will all but the Hooker headers. The problem isn't really the tranny, it's the bellhousing on the tranny. But you are correct, they will make it more difficult to do any transmission work.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only one I've heard that you actually can do tranny and clutch work is the Kooks.

What benefits are there of going with the higher end LTs/midpipes (SLP, Kooks) rather than BBK or Bassani? Is there a power difference or is it mainly sound? Fit difference?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not realy. The only difference real between the LT producers is the fitment. If you want to get technical the options of stainless steal, jet hot, ceramic (not sure of the difference between either) chrome... OH! and price of cource. Although some would say that the more expencive they are the better, I don't know, I personaly think its paying for a 'name' like namebrand clothing. Nothing technicly is different between them and you still pay extra for it, but I digress. You do how ever get what you pay for in this hobby.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have the bassani catted x pipe and catback and it sounds great.I plan on putting on the bassani mid length headers on next spring.Great thing about these headers is you dont have to worry about tearing them off when you drive over speed bumps etc.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like a an awesome plan, finally a supercharged bull around here :) Anyway, If it were me I;d say screw Lt's and go turbo, but thats big bucks... If your looking for a killer tuner get John Lund to do it. He works out of evolution performance in Aston. Just about everyone one from PA over on SVTperformance has had their car done by him and have nothing but great things to say. he has a mean turbo terminator, and his son has a really clean notch. Anyway, Lt's sound awesome and the more money you spend the better quality and fit your going to get. I personally don't care for the slp lm's sound, but if you dig it then go for it. Hit me up when its all done so I can check your car out in person!!
Good luck !!
Steve.

P.s.If you got some time, check out phillystangs.com Its pretty cool a pretty good local stang site.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
As far as LT headers go, I would do a search at modular depot about this. You will be surprised at the results. I am a firm beliver in you get what you pay for in regards to mustang parts. You could get Headman LT's and offroad mid-pipe from Summit for under $500, but the fit is suspect and well quality is another matter. Or you could drop a larger amount of coin and get something that fits right the first time... YMMV...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the help guys. Steve I will definitely check out evolution in Aston, thanks for the info.

I've decided to do the exhaust install myself. Got a place I can do the work. I'm going to start a new thread for it. With the money I save and with the install process I will be doing springs as well.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
phbull said:
Thanks for all the help guys. Steve I will definitely check out evolution in Aston, thanks for the info.

I've decided to do the exhaust install myself. Got a place I can do the work. I'm going to start a new thread for it. With the money I save and with the install process I will be doing springs as well.
Awsome! your car is gonna be sweet!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts