Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just replaced the brake booster on DHG2552. I had a very slow leak of power steering fluid, maybe one drop per day on the garage floor. I could see small amounts of red oil on the small platform under the brake booster (driver's side firewall) and small amounts dripping down along the frame/left front jacking position. A very small amount of fluid was also on the inside of the firewall under the carpet under the brake pedal.

The part was about $425 and the labor was about $225 at my local Ford dealer.

I have a KwikLift so, now that the leak has stopped, I have been scrubbing all the fluid areas including the bottom of the floor pan under the car and getting her clean again. DHG2552 has been driven in the rain only three times so the bottom of the floor pan is back to a clean light green. The booster was leaking for quite a while so a very light oily film was covering some areas of the bottom of the floor pan on the driver's side.

This very small leak had just barely reduced the power steering level to the low mark on the reservoir and there was no loss of brake fluid at all. It was initially difficult to locate the source of the leak but, once found, it was obvious where the fluid was coming from. The exact location was the small shaft of the booster that goes through the firewall and connects to the brake pedal. The seal around that shaft was bad but the only way to repair it was to replace the entire booster. There was no part number for just the seal.

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else is noticing a small power steering fluid loss or leak. DHG2552 has 14,400 miles.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Well........

I have had the small PSF leak ever since I got the car (2nd owner). I have never found the leak! I will check under the carpet below the brake pedal to see if it is the same problem you had.

What I don't understand about this is how is the Brake Booster related to the Power Steering?

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi P,
It would be better to shine a light down under the brake booster on the firewall just under the windshield on the driver's side. If you see a little oil down on the small platfrom under the booster, take a paper towell and wipe the platform (hard to reach) to check out the color of the fluid. If it is red, you have found your problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts