Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I take the Bullitt in a tight circle and put it in neutral and let it continue coasting in the circle I hear a loud klaking noise. My wife stood in the center of the circle and said it sounded like it was coming from the back wheel area but I could feel some vibration through the shifter and I am feeling it is coming from the transmission. Any thoughts? This has me really worried! By the way, if I keep the car in first gear and do the tight circle I don't hear the sound.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
If you don't drive it many miles my first choice would be a universal joint that has gone dry and stiff. Klaking sound is the needle bearing dragging and then letting loose to rotate once more?
Or second choice is the bearing in the front of the rearend? Had one of those once that made a clicking sound except when gas was applied. It eventually failed and made some other horrendous noises before I got it fixed.

Just some SWAGs. :neutral:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Dave. I don't know much about this sort of thing. If the U joint has gone dry and stiff, is this consistent with the fact that the klaking sound only occurs while the car is turning a tight circle in neutral? Is the bearing in front of the rearend more consistent with the problem I am describing. I did have a gear swap about a year ago.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I am rethinking this. #1 choice is the trac-lok clutches binding (from the fact that the inner wheel turns less than the outer wheel. Making the bind.) and then releasing with the klaking sound. #2 is the u-joint. I am going to the u-joint only because I had this issue on my 84 Capri. It had trac-lok, and made the noise when turning also, but the u-joint was dry. At that time I thought the pumpkin, but the Ford dealer replaced the u=joint, not the pumpkin. The u-joints had no grease zirks. Nor do ours. When was the last time your rear end was drained flushed and new fluid added? Has it been a while?

I know it's your DD. Maybe in a couple days someone has already been down this road with their Bullitt.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like if it were the U Joint the sound would be occuring even if I were going in a straight line. The noise only occurs when the car is in a tight circle and in neutral.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Right, that is why I rethought your experience set mine past experience asside and went with conventional wisdom on the mechanics of the vehicle.

The Capri while a 5.0 had a smaller rear axle than the Bullitts, and thus it will behave differently. Driving in a circle does set up the binding, and the clutches are supposed to release smoothly. But, if they are wearing and have not been serviced I believe you will hear them click free. Might not be either. My bad experience was not necessarily the same as what you are hearing. The Capri only made the noise only turning right, not left. The mechanic had no explaination for this at the time. I don't remember asking any more questions as I was only too happy to pay less than $100.00 when expecting several hundred for a new/rebuilt clutch pack.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I had a '67 Tempest that did that, turned out to be an axle bearing. Probably not in your case, but a possibility.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The whole deal is upsetting because it just came on so suddenly. I had the car at Hooters on Monday evening (Labor Day) and it seemed fine. The strange thing about this is that it seems fine if the car is in gear and going in the circle about 5 MPH but when I shift into neutral and let it slow down as I continue the turn it starts making the klaking sound and it just seems like I can feel something through the shifter.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I get the same thing when I back mine up in certain situations. It's not that bad, and doesn't happen any other time, so I'm not worried.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the things I failed to say was that the car does not make the klaking noise if I do the tight circle in reverse. So the klaking occurs when car is in tight circle with shifter in neutral going forward (both turning right and turning left) and I can feel something (vibration) through the shifter.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The mechanic that installed my cast aluminum valve covers said he would look at the car Wednesday after work. He thinks it is the clutches in the differential and that some friction modifier will fix it. I hope he is correct. I will let folks know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts