Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in a thread under "Swap Meet" but thought it should have a thread of its own:

True new Ford Bullitt wheels are difficult to find, are very expensive and have confusing part numbers.

I bought two from a Ford Racing Parts dealer but had to return the first pair because they were a shade lighter. Ford has done something very foolish with part numbers and casting numbers.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CORRECT FORD PART NUMBER FOR NEW, ORIGINAL BULLITT WHEELS IS:

3R3Z-1007-CA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Wheel Numbers

Rick, I purchased a set of take offs in early 2002. I checked the numbers on those wheels and found two numbers? Those numbers are IR33-1007-BB and IR33-1007-AB respectively. Any ideas? The colors of the rims appear identical when I put them side by side to my Bullitt!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,763 Posts
Thats fords "great" idea. its the same with the color codes. black for our cars is UA, but earlier years its different. same with some of the other colors that are identical.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
BULLITT#5452 said:
Rick, I purchased a set of take offs in early 2002. I checked the numbers on those wheels and found two numbers? Those numbers are IR33-1007-BB and IR33-1007-AB respectively. Any ideas? The colors of the rims appear identical when I put them side by side to my Bullitt!!!!

Yes, these are the CASTING numbers that are found on all Bullitt wheels installed at the factory on all Bullitts.

If you want to buy new ones from Ford, there is a numbering issue as I discovered. So when buying new ones be sure to ask for the Ford part number in my post above.

It makes no sense that Ford has messed with the part numbers for new original Bullitt wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Bullitt Wheels

Hey Rick. How are the wheels you bought from me workin? Did you decide you wanted another pair?
BLKBull
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey BLKBull,
I bought two pairs of wheels, one pair from you and onother pair from someone else and I did not keep track of who sent what. But in mounting and balancing some track tires I learned that one wheel was slightly bent. On the back of the wheel was a long scrape on an inner edge that must have been caused by the same force that put a slight bend in the wheel. So I went looking for a replacement.

This last replacement is clean on the outside but a little pitted on the inside, maybe from salt or something like that. So now I have a set of wheels and tires that I can put on for open track days. Lookin for better "stick" on the road course. The first open track day of the year is April 28th if I recall correctly.


Knowing that new Bullitt wheels are getting harder to find, I decided to buy a couple of new spares. That is when I learned about the numbering problems.

But thanks for asking!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Bullitt wheels

PhotoRick said:
I posted this in a thread under "Swap Meet" but thought it should have a thread of its own:

True new Ford Bullitt wheels are difficult to find, are very expensive and have confusing part numbers.

I bought two from a Ford Racing Parts dealer but had to return the first pair because they were a shade lighter. Ford has done something very foolish with part numbers and casting numbers.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CORRECT FORD PART NUMBER FOR NEW, ORIGINAL BULLITT WHEELS IS:

3R3Z-1007-CA
I bought a wheel from Gene Evans Ford,they were advertised in muscle mustangs & fast fords.Got the wheel and like you it was a lighter shade of gray.I called and talked to their parts man,nice guy and helped a lot.Anyway he told me that the wheel I got was an aftermarket wheel,thats why the color didn't match.He then set me up with a real ford wheel and it was a perfect match.The price wasn't that much more,maybe 25 bucks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Gucciardo,
The wheel I bought was a Ford wheel, Ford dealership with a Ford casting logo on the back of the wheel. I asked for the same part number but the color was not correct. And the spokes had a rougher finish.

Only the part number above was the correct wheel.

What is the part number on your wheel box?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Correct wheel

PhotoRick said:
Hi Gucciardo,
The wheel I bought was a Ford wheel, Ford dealership with a Ford casting logo on the back of the wheel. I asked for the same part number but the color was not correct. And the spokes had a rougher finish.

Only the part number above was the correct wheel.

What is the part number on your wheel box?
Sorry man,threw the box away.Ya know that was a couple years ago and the guy at gene evans ford knew exactly what I was talking about when I contacted them about my problem.Seems as though as time goes on the market is becomming flooded with parts for these cars and it is becomming difficult to get what you want.Ya know these places will take returns as long as you don't mount the wheels.Of course sometimes they charge you for returning stuf but what are ya gonna do.I know I felt like crap when this happened to me.It's hard to believe that there is a difference in factory ford wheels.It's a big hassle but I would return em and try a different sourse.Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
As I think most everybody knows, the Bullitt wheels through Ford Racing (FRP) will not match the original Bullitt wheels. The FRP wheels are great - at a lower cost - and are darker than originals.

My good weather wheels in the pic below are originals Bs - rears are widened to 10.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bossmustang said:
As I think most everybody knows, the Bullitt wheels through Ford Racing (FRP) will not match the original Bullitt wheels. The FRP wheels are great - at a lower cost - and are darker than originals.
But part numbers and casting numbers are supposed to be the same as they were back in 01. They aren't any more.

So real, NEW, original, Bullitt wheels now have the part number I posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
bossmustang said:
As I think most everybody knows, the Bullitt wheels through Ford Racing (FRP) will not match the original Bullitt wheels. The FRP wheels are great - at a lower cost - and are darker than originals.
I bought one of those a few years ago. The one I bought was lighter, not darker, and the argent was not as grainy-looking as original wheels. I sent it back.

They are probably the way to go for anyone wanting to put "Bullitt" wheels on another car. But, they absolutely are not replacement for factory originals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Rick,

You seem to have adopted the cause of hooking up everyone with replacement wheels. :)

We've all seen pairs and sets for sale, but almost no one is willing to sell just one for fear of being stuck with an odd number they can't unload.

I propose that you buy up some of these pairs and sets and sell them individually yourself. Make a buck or two. Most of all, you'll be helping out fellow Bullitheads with reasonably-priced factory replacements.

I don't know what they go for nowadays, but I have purchased two sets myself. Both were $500 or less with new tires on them!

To answer your question :) - one is on my '68 and the other is my backup set for if and when I restore the B 15 years from now. I had an '87 IROC and after 250K miles, literally wore out the clearcoat on those unique factory rims. You can't buy them today, so I was able to restore the car except for new wheels. That taught me to try to buy a spare set of wheels for any car I think I might keep to restore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,386 Posts
PhotoRick said:
I posted this in a thread under "Swap Meet" but thought it should have a thread of its own:

True new Ford Bullitt wheels are difficult to find, are very expensive and have confusing part numbers.

I bought two from a Ford Racing Parts dealer but had to return the first pair because they were a shade lighter. Ford has done something very foolish with part numbers and casting numbers.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CORRECT FORD PART NUMBER FOR NEW, ORIGINAL BULLITT WHEELS IS:

3R3Z-1007-CA
Great ... I e-mailed the part number to myself and will store it.

Thanks again for your assistance ~ !!! :D
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top