Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I pulled the dealer decal off the trunk lid but there is some glue residue. Any ideas on what I should remove it with? There isn't much of it. Terry mentioned a certain product (in another thread) they use at the Acura dealer but I'm not sure if I could find it here.

Would WD40 work or would that likely damage the paint? Armor All cleaner?

Also on a related note, there is a small spot on the dash, I'm not sure what it is but I can't remove it with a wet rag. It's probably oil based. Not that noticeable but it bugs me. I have no idea how it got there but it was there when I picked the car up last weekend. What do you think I could use to remove the spot without dis-coloring the dash?

Any help much appreciated!

sinc

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'd try Goo-Gone or just simply rubbing alcohol on the trunk. Another option is to get some masking tape or just scotch tape and put the tape over the residue & lift. That works pretty well sometimes. As far as the dash I'll leave that to others to offer advice. You don't want to stain it worse, disperse the existing stain over bigger area, or remove the color of the dash fabric.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
You can use WD to remove the glue, or rubbing-alcohol and a soft cloth - neither will damage the paint (but might strip the wax off).

So far as the dash - being plastic (I'm assuming this is on the plastic part - not the aluminium), I'd use a plastic cleaner or polish, maybe a bit of diluted dish-soap if you think it's oil, and then the polish (I like "Plexus" for plastics - no scratches, no damage, find it at Motorcycle shops).

·
Premium Member
18,865 Posts
As others have stated...yes to WD-40 on the clearcoat/paint...have used it often and continue to do so regarding adhesive removal.

No sure as to what location/surface you are specifically referring regarding the dash.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
Thanks for the tips. I actually have a can of the Plexus that I use on my motorcycle helmet visor. I could try it.

The spot is on the top of the dash, near the hump for the gauges. It is about the size of a quarter, slightly smaller perhaps, but not perfectly circular. It is visible depending on how the light hits it. Looks like a spot from water that would evaporate, except it doesn't. :frown:

Sinc

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Try the Goo-Gone on the dash. I have used it on the 01 without any marks on the dash plastic. First on an out of sight piece of plastic as a test.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
VicMark said:
I just looked at a couple of reviews for "goo gone". The first guy said don't use it on any vehicle you value as it will leave a mark. The second said it worked great. Strange.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672465&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443247966&bmUID=1227400669396&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true#ProductRR
First guy used it on an American built car. Second used it on a Asian car? It's Lemon extract and some soap. All biodegradeable.

·
Premium Member
18,865 Posts
VicMark said:
...The spot is on the top of the dash, near the hump for the gauges. It is about the size of a quarter, slightly smaller perhaps, but not perfectly circular. It is visible depending on how the light hits it. Looks like a spot from water that would evaporate, except it doesn't. :frown:
I'm not familiar with the '08/'09 Bullitt (I have an '01) so I'm still not too sure about what the surface consists of. Is it the tooled aluminum dash surface or the dark charcoal (possibly painted?) dash surface...or is it the clear plastic lens that houses the gauges? Can you post a pic of where the spot is located? :)

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
As you all probably know, it would be good to be careful. Some cars nowadays have hard plastic surfaces that are dyed/painted and could be damaged with a strong detergent/alcohol/ or constant rubbing with a wet rag.:redface:

·
Premium Member
18,865 Posts
Is the spot on the dash similar to the location in the first pic below? If so, I believe that is a painted surface. Like David stated above...BE CAREFUL. I would hit the spot (as well as the entire dash) with some Mequiar's Vinyl & Rubber cleaner/conditioner in the second pic below. On the aft portion of the bottle it states in the fifth bullet, "Perfect for all vinyl surfaces, including dashboards, door panels, vinyl tops and interiors".

Click on pics to enlarge...

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dash spot...

I mixed a small amount of dish soap and lukewarm water and rubbed the spot on the dash. Absolutely no effect. I bought some Mequiar's Vinyl & Rubber cleaner and sprayed a bit on the plastic just inside the trunk (precautionary measure). I think this material is pretty similar to what is on the dash but not as textured. I wiped the Mequiars stuff with a soft microfibre cloth. It darkened the whole area and made it somewhat shiny. You could see little spots of overspray.

The dash is a matte finish which I prefer to shiny however if I put that stuff all over the dash I guess it would more or less hide the shiny spot there now, as everything would be shiny. I wonder if there would be glare from the sun?

"Goo gone" is still an option I could try, or the Plexus stuff (actually I have a can of "ProtectAll" which is similar product. I also have a bottle of 303 protectant which might work. I think the spot must be some sort of grease. I have no idea how it would have got there...someones finger perhaps. Weird....and annoying.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
The Plexus has some mild cleaning properties - I wouldn't hesitate to use that, even on a painted surface (which I don't believe the upper-shell of the '08s is painted).

Even if it "shines" the plastic a bit, it will dull back up over time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just tried "ProtectAll" which I use on my motorcycle visor, I think it's pretty similar to Plexus which I've used in the past. No effect on the spot :frown: , might have even made it darker! I haven't tried the Meguiers cleaner yet or Goo Gone. I'm wondering if 303 spot remover might work:

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=431

Could also try WD40 I suppose (after trying it in the trunk first!).

What is the dash in the Bullitt? Looks like textured plastic to me not vinyl.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
VicMark said:
What is the dash in the Bullitt? Looks like textured plastic to me not vinyl.
It is almost-certainly ABS or maybe EPDM plastic - any petro-products might weaken it and eventually cause it to crack.

This is the part where you take it back to the Dealer, and get THEM involved in it - "Hey guys, I was dusting right after I had it in here last time, and noticed this greasy-spot turned up that was not there PRIOR to my last visit, I used such-and-such plastic-cleaner to attempt a quick cleanup, but that didn't have any effect, and this really resembles a greasy thumbprint.....blah,blah,blah....."

You get the picture.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.