Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this should be in Mods but bear with me as my later replies might be for members only....

Has anybody got projector headlights ?
Did they fit ?
Which ones did you go for ?

Do you know anybody with them on any 99 - 04 Mustang ?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I know they're not headlights but #0005 had the CDC Quad lights installed way back in 2002 by MRaburn. The CDC lights are incredibly bright. I can tell you that when I have these lights on at night and then turn the headlights on I can tell no difference. I ended up wiring them through a factory foglamp switch installed so I can run the Quads independant of the running lights...John R :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lads I don't want to know if I should fit them or not or what they would look like on my Bullitt,
I want to know if anybody has them or has had any dealings with them.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
English Bob said:
Lads I don't want to know if I should fit them or not or what they would look like on my Bullitt,
I want to know if anybody has them or has had any dealings with them.

My bad-I thought you were asking a generic question....:cool:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Bob,

I met a guy at one of our recent shows here in New England.

He had a set of those headlight units.

Very expensive and they leak.

His were all fogged with moisture.

He told me he was sorry he got them because of this problem.

I did not ask if they came with a warranty. But I would guess he could not get them fixed as he grumbled about them.

I know I have a pic of them somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

CG

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you were to get a pair I would go for these over the ones you posted. These don't look at high tech or robotish. You get the benefits of a projector without all the bling.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bullitt220 said:
Bob,

I met a guy at one of our recent shows here in New England.
He had a set of those headlight units.
Very expensive and they leak.
His were all fogged with moisture.
He told me he was sorry he got them because of this problem.
I did not ask if they came with a warranty. But I would guess he could not get them fixed as he grumbled about them.
I know I have a pic of them somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.
CG
Thanks that is what I am after, horror stories !

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ItalianDHG#0754 said:
If you were to get a pair I would go for these over the ones you posted. These don't look at high tech or robotish. You get the benefits of a projector without all the bling.
Thanks they look nice as well and don't stick out like the ones I posted. They look better quality
as well, where are they from?
EDITED:
Ok I found them on Ebay. I like post included BUT dont like all sales are final No returns.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
Too machine like for me. You might need them though for the English nights.
These may not be a bad idea in the often-foggy Gulf Coast Texas nights too ... (???)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I am wondering about Projector Lights....similar ones.

I am considering the Black ones with no led's or halo's in them (pic below). Then you would have the advantage of the projector without the look of too much RICE!

I cannot figure out how they work though.......
They have two bulb locations in each side? But our cars have only one bulb for both High and Low beams. So how does it work as a direct replacement? Only one actually work or what? I have seen some with actually 3 locations that appear to be for bulbs (not counting the turn signal).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Our one bulb has two fillaments, a dip and a main beam.

These just split it into two lights, one is the projector dip and the other the main beam.
As for the LED's thay are on flying leads and it is up to you if you connect them or how you connect them.
ie if you wanted you could put them on a separate switch.

Please don't buy these yet, I am doing tests and wasting my money so you don't have to???

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
So, you're saying that these new housings come with two bulbs already installed and wiring that our regular bulb plug plugs into (like pictured below)?

If that is the case, then not only is the outside (housing) quality important but the bulbs themselves must also be of high quality or you end up with junk. Also, looks like there is no way to change the bulbs in these when they die!

If you look closely at the rear picture below, you will see that there is no silicone around the wires as they lead into the housing. I would say that is why some fog up inside.

With all the ones on eBay it is going to be difficult to week out the junk! This particular set I have below has the nicer side reflector i think but I'm still not interested in the halo stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
ItalianDHG#0754 said:

Clear reflectors are not U.S. DOT Approved for our cars (MUST have amber reflectors at the front). So unless you wanted to stick a amber reflector on the side of your fender, you shouldn't use these with clear or no reflectors in the U.S.

I know that much about replacement Mustang Headlights anyway.......

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about the amber. I meant to ask that question when I saw user name 'graves' headlights last night. He has clear lenses with an amber bulb. So, at night he as amber but not during the day. Is that still illegal? I really like the look of his lights and he had an HID kit as well. What is the difference between HID and these projector kits?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I had HID's ($250.00) in standard Bullitt Housings and could never get them to align or focus correctly. I ended up just pulling them out and going back to standard bulbs. The light was very good (super bright white light - 6000K) on low beams, but High beams went out into space somewhere and I could never get them to work correctly.

I'm kinda burnt out on them and now have my SilverStar Bulbs back in them. I am considering these Projectors but want to hear opinions of those that have them installed. Not really interested in opinions of what they look like, but how they compare performance wise in comparison with stock headlamp bulbs/housings. Also, which set on eBay of the many available are the best. I see them from under 100.00 to almost 200.00 in price range. Gotta be some differences.

The reflector is just that. You've got red reflectors on the rear sides and you must have amber on the front sides. Has nothing to do with the bulbs. Front reflector must be amber for our year cars according to DOT. I cannot quote or direct you to the law, but I know it exists. Weather or not a PO will enforce the Law and write you a Defective Equipment Ticket is unknown. With all the Mods we have on our cars, the last thing we need is to be stopped for foolishly clear (no amber) in our headlights (sides).

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
OK time to fess up. We have a lot of Mustangs here and a lot of late model ones that are needing replacement headlights. I have two friends that are considering these projector lights.
Also we need a small white 5 watt side light to the front of the car and on most of our European cars it is in the headlight so it lights up the chrome reflector of the headlight.
In case of my Bullitt I had to drill the back of the factory headlight and introduce a small side light bulb.
(PS. Note: I have had no issues with fogging or misting up.)

It would be nice to find a replacement headlight unit that already had a side light in it.
This is why we started looking at these projectors due to the halo angle eyes lights around the two main lights.
Also the blue tint to the projector light looks nice and in theory should focus more light straight ahead and not waste it to the sides and up in the air. Projector lights started life with faster cars in mind, needing better lights.

I ordered a set from Atomic Street on ebay and had them sent over here. Poor packing meant that one was damaged and one projector unit had come loose and popped out of its fixings. I spoke to the company who were going to put in a claim but then they went quiet on me. after time I decided to repier the unit, which was not too bad, just fiddly.
Having repaired it I decided to test fit it and see it the bulbs worked. This is where the trouble started as the unit does not fit.
With the new Proj headlight unit in place I cant shut the hood.
The dearest are not always the best from what I have seen so far. These were not the chapest out there.

Pic 1. That's me holding the hood down as it will not shut
Pic 2. Seal is miles off and you can see how far out the hood is.
Pic 3. You can see that these ones do have amber reflectors in them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts