Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess I got tired of waiting for Art Hyde. Winter and the rain are bound to take their toll on my engine compartment. I've done my best so far and haven't marred the Serial# label yet. So, I decided to protect it.

At first I thought I'd put some clear packing tape over it, like Art has in mind. I just didn't want to do anything to it that would be irreversible. So I thought of this:

I took a clear piece of plastic from a child's toy package. You know, the kind that you need scissors to open. It was a bit flexible and I cut it to an oval shape just a little bigger than the Serial# label.

Then I took a piece of clear packing tape and cut off a perfect length much larger than the plastic I had cut. And I laid it down, sticky side up on a clean, flat surface.

I cleaned up the clear oval I'd cut (to limit fingerprints) and carefully lowered it onto the packing tape, pressing the bubbles out as I went.

Then I carefully cut the packing tape away from the oval until I had about 1/3" of sticky left around the oval.

With a pair of tweezers, I lined up the clear sticker over my Bullitt Serialization Sticker and gently pressed it down and around it, working the bubbles out as I went.

Well, it worked! In fact, I blew it the first time and tried again to make it look better and I was able to remove it without damaging the factory sticker at all.

Now when ART sends the real one, I can peel this one off and apply the Ford fix once and for all. In the meantime, mine is sealed from the elements and I have don't have to give its delicate nature too much more thought.

Here's the photo. Hope this is of benefit to you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There is a company called Cleartastic.Their website is http://www.cleartastic.com . They make clear plastic protective sheets that adhere by static cling,no adhesives used,and you can cut a piece out to match the oval design of the Bullitt sticker.It works great. I just made it a little bigger than the sticker, used a hair dryer to heat it up a little and pressed out a few air bubbles and that was it. The really nice thing about this material is that it comes right off if you want to remove it and its totally reusable. I had a piece left over from a kit that I bought for another car that I own and have had no problems.The plastic peels right off and does not damage the sticker. If you contact the company maybe they have some left over material or a small kit that could be used.Just thought you folks could use the info.BlackBullitt#1768

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-10-08 21:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
509 Posts
I got tired of waiting for Hyde and wondering what to do, sooooo I grabbed my clearcoat can and shot the sucker (3 times).

Looks great and no more BS.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The link to the Cleartastic site doesn't work so I just typed it in on the address bar and I went right to their site. They also sell a kit for in back of the rear wheels for Mustangs.I think that I will get it as it is only $23.00 BlackBullitt#1768

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
That link will work now. Just a misplaced period. :smile: I was also thinking that when I get my car to the installer to have my 3M stongaurd put on I may have them cut a small piece to cover my shock tower as well. Hopefully that will work just as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm just curious why people are so reluctant to put packing tape over the sticker for fear of messing it up. Ford wouldn't come up with some ingenious idea anyway--they'd probably do the same exact thing. I can't imagine that a piece of tape would devalue your stang. Not only that, but if you do it right you shouldn't even be able to tell that there's a piece of tape over it.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Packing tape can and will yellow and disintegrate over time with the heat of the engine compartment. This will also leave a white dried up/half sticky glue residue on the sticker when it does finally succumb and the ends begin to peel.
A clear coat Krylon, or the method described above would work best until we get our "Fix" from Ford.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I just installed the cleartastic rear quarter panel pieces on #66 this week. This was in preperation for a weekend of road course lapping this coming weekend. Very good product. Went on extremely easy, almost invisable and reusable.

Brian

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blakwing's concerns are my own, as well. That's why I consider my packing tape fix a temporary one. I also wanted to leave enough "non-sticky" area around the perimeter of the Serial#, so I could get the remaining sticky stuff off when it degrades. I'm hoping that Art Hyde's fix includes a more reliable clear overlay. I'm just trying to go a short while without worrying about the actual Serial# degrading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts