Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it had to happen...

I haven't been pulled over by an officer of the law since May of '89 (I was returning home from Texas A&M after final exams).

Anyway, I was leaving work after putting in about 15 hours and was driving on the service road of Texas 190 (the service road to the George Bush toll road). This service road is three lanes wide, but has a speed limit of 50!

I often see and am challenged by other high-performance sports cars when driving home. I never take up the offer to race because its just not my bag o' tricks.

Anyway the night of the infraction, a guy or gal cut in front of TB #2999 just prior to I turning West onto the service road. I got the feeling the driver was DWI - he/she was swerving.

That was my cue to get out of their way - I did so by dropping down a gear. I don't know how fast I was driving, maybe 65 or 70 (in this 50 zone).

I got to the first street light and as soon as it turned green, Plano's finest turned on his cruiser's light bar.

My DL's address didn't match that on my insurance. When the cop came back he said he was letting me slide on the speeding - thank G, but I would receive a citation for an invalid licence.

I use my folks address as the permanent address, but I sleep in Plano.

I went to the DPS office and had my address changed to Plano (any DPS office is nirvana - this one was a lovely 1 hour teeth pulling session).

The next day I went to take care of the DL citation. I planned on paying a $20-$40 fine. Surprise, Plano makes it a money making deal - the infraction cost me $92. It is one thing to be punitive, but $92 is EXCESSIVELY punitive.

I should have gone to court, but who knows how much that would have cost - and if I lost, would still owe the $92+.

The offense does not qualify for defferement and defensive driving does not apply.

Bottom line: traffic infractions are cities' way of confering guilt until proven innocent. Sounds backwards does it not?

Moral of the story: keep your driver's license address up-to-date.

Good evening.

Trajan88
TAMU Class of '88

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Trajan88 on 2002-01-20 01:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I feel for you.

I got a ticket for too dark tint on my side glass by Arizona Highway Patrol 2 weeks ago.

I have to drive the 29 mile section of Az. I-15 to work and this cop just transferred in.

He actually pulled me over doing a drug runner profile. They work this area hard and he's new, didn't recognize me, so he stopped me.

Bottom line, the courthouse is 100 miles away and you have to drive thru Utah to get there.

If I didn't redo the tint and send the court proof of correction, the fine is $194.50.

I p*sses me off because this cop replaced my friend on this beat, so I had to fix it. :evil:

·
Registered
337 Posts
On Western Ave. in Seattle, the speed limit is posted as 30. This is a six lane road (three in each direction). In CA it would be 45. While driving my Black Eclipse GSX (circa 1993), I got pulled over via radar for going 42 (in a pack of cars: I got the ticket as I had the sports car, so I "must" have been speeding. In fact, I saw the patrol car, and was going slower than then rest of the traffic). My CA plates had been recently stolen, so I had registered the car in WA to save time. Whoops. CA DL and WA reg. $800 fine! Talked to a magistrate (No judges, no trials. No driving school. You are guilty in Seattle. Period), and he waived the $800, and forced me to get a WA DL (got one next day). He said I'd have to pay the balance if I ever did it again (I left Seattle shortly thereafter and returned to CA, having to pay to get my CA license again. And having to pay again to re-register the car in CA).

There's nothing we can do about revenue generation in this manner (except venting like we are doing here). Just drive carefully, be aware, and enjoy your car(s)...

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Oh they would love me Ga tags, Va liscence and insuranve address. I guess i would be screwd

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Bro,
The Solders and Sailiors ACT protects us we can have 2 different States involved But never 3. ie; Drivers Lience In Fla, Car reg. in Va. Is OK. But add a 3 state and your illegal ie; same as above but insurance in another state.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I respect police and the job they do. But I can't stand the Barney Fife's of the police world. They give all police a bad name and hide behind a badge while playing the big shot.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thanks to the gutless wonders in Austin bowing to the EPA, they have mandated that all freeways in a 9 county area around Houston will be 55 MPH. That's so Houston can have clean air. No mention of the fact that Houston sits squarely in the middle of Harris County. No mention of all the heavy industry contributing. Just traffic. Strange that traffic creeps along stop and go during the peak rush hours with 55 only a dream. Maybe they shoulda come up with a plan to get traffic moving at a speed where the engines perform efficiently instead of idling along for miles.

The signs are already up on most of the freeways, actaully Interstates and US Highways inside Houston City limitis. HPD is having a field day. One of the vendor reps told me he counted 9 cruisers issuing citations in one short stretch of I-10 East on Monday morning.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
The only real way to fight it is if everyone that got a ticket went to court to fight it and asked for a jury trial. Yes, we would still lose, but the cities would spend more money than they were making and would be more careful. But, it takes more than just me and you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i never had any trouble in plano.but IRVING,
FARMERS BRANCH & GARLAND thats another story
i'm sure anyone from the mid cities area will
agree.

SHORTY

·
Registered
716 Posts
The positive side of the story is that the ticket he did write was not a moving violation and will not affect your insurance. I agree that $92 is way too much for a stupid DL ticket but trust me, it was cheaper than the speeding ticket would have been. The officer must have liked your car or your story because he did you a favor. I know you're thinking "what favor!" but considering how Plano is I see it as a win win for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts