·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PULLEYS: How do they help?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Think of pullies like on a bike. Your crank pulley is the equivelant of your crank sprocket and your alternator and water pump pullies are like your rear cogset. If you go to a larger cog in the rear, or smaller one in the front, it gets easier to pedal. So if you replace your alternator and water pump pullies with larger ones they take less power to turn. I don't know if that analogy helped but it was the first one that came to my mind.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, so let me see if I've got this :???:
The pulleys do not actually create more horespower, but they require less to move them, therefore allowing more of the existing horsepower to reach the wheels. Right? :???:

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
That's correct. They free up power from, what is known as, parasitic loss. Meaning that your engine loses power for a number of things.. It takes power to turn your AC, power to move all the gears in your transmission, your engine loses power with the cylinders scraping along the walls of the engine block, etc.. All these things take power to do.. By going to a smaller pulley you will re-claim some of that lost power. People have also said that by going to synthetic oils you can re-claim more of that power. The engine components move more smoothly thereby freeing up loss normally taken by friction. Synthetic oils in the trans and rear end do the same.. the gears turn more freely and easier give you more power still.. an aluminum driveshaft will also do the same by lowering the "rotating mass" that the engine has to move. None of this "technically" GIVES you more power but what is does do is put MORE of the power produced by the engine to the ground.

2001 DHG Bullitt #171

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-11-08 20:08 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-11-08 20:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yep! The only trade-off is the driven pulleys turn slower than stock (original) but not enough to make a difference in critical output of the driven device.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What brand/package/cost is recommended so that I will notice it in daily driving. (Not that I need any other reason to speed. I got my first Bullitt speeding ticket today.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Little Tip. Doen't waste your money on pulleys for the Bullitt. Alot of people drop $150-200 on the steeda underdrive pulleys (which are the best for your money), but are completely unnecessary. The Bullitt already comes with modified pulleys, and at MOST you would get 1-3 horsepower increase. If anyone tells you different they don't know what they are talking about. Instead spend your money on a new exhaust, steeda tri-zx shifter (save your tranny), or a chip or densecharger cai. Good Luck,

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm not sure why you would make such a blanket statement when I have Dynojet-chassis dyno proven performance gains from adding underdrive pulleys to my Bullitt. I previously posted the gains and relevant info in the mods forum so I won't bore everyone again here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roushraven99 on 2001-11-10 15:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
714 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-09 09:32, roushraven99 wrote:
I'm not sure why you would make such a blanket statement when I have Dynojet-chassis dyno proven performance gains from adding underdrive pulleys to my Bullitt. I previously posted the gains and relevant info in the mods forum so I won't bore everyone again here.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Must be that UK air?

·
Registered
762 Posts
UK air, nope. Dyno'd with underdrive pulleys at Brother's Performance in CA.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
RoushRaven is correct. The Bullitt has underdrive pullies on the Accessories ONLY.. The largest HP gain is to be had from the CRANK pulley. The Bullitt's stock pullies yield very small gains compared to stock.. They're still there but the gain is not very much. By changing the CRANK pulley is where the lions share of the HP is reclaimed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree with Arthur. I don't understand how people can make claims about mods they obviously have not made themselves. I put Steeda pulleys on my car and immediately noticed a difference. Besides the reclaimed power, you get a higher quality harmonic balancer. My engine seems to rev smoother and quicker than stock. I put on a Steeda timing adjuster and dialed it to 13 and I am running 92 octane gas with a booster. The pulleys and timing adjuster made way more of a difference than my cold air intake/MAF setup. IMHO it's the best bang for the buck. Next step, longtube headers, catalytic h-pipe and hopefully new camshafts in the near future. I need to do more research on the cams first. I'll keep you posted.

The best, Brad.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks Brad. By the way I too have been thinking seriously about the cams with polished and ported heads. I spoke to Steve at Houston Performance who's been helping me out with my Roush and he says that the cars they have added that combo to have seen about 40 RWHP on 99-up GTs. So I'm thinking that with all of my current mods and the PHP kit whenever it comes out along with the heads and cam that I could be solidly above 300 RWHP mark. Stay tuned!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts