Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very proud of my IMBOC Bullitthead friend punk lancelot. He holds a place in my heart as I am an avid animal lover and that is what he does, takes care of and nurtures sick/hurt raptures at a place called "Barnswallow" in Illinois where he lives. Charlie says he is doing his favorite thing today... releasing 2 Great HOrned Owls back into the forest. They were 2 displaced babies they received last spring and they are now 6 months old and ready to fend for themselves.

Charlie had sent me these pictures as we were discussing raptures the other day. I thought I would share them with ya'all to enjoy. These are pictures of Thelonius-a Great HOrned Owl that came to them with a multiple compound wing fracture. He will never be well enough to be released into the wild, so Thelonius will live at the Barnswallow clinic and has become Charlie's "buddy." The owl likes to hold hands and nibble on his fingers. He was 1 week old when he was rescued and the pictures span over a 3 month period.

Charlie, did the baby owl fall out of the nest?

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Named after Thelonious Monk? Nice. :)

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Barnswallow is a great place for these gifts of nature. I can say for a fact that Charlie loves Barnswallow and its residents, he is very dedicated to their well being.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Yes Charlie is great man/person for the work he does with such wonderful creatures!!!! My hat is off to you! Keep up the work more birds of prey need you!

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the website of the clinic where Charlie - punk lancelot - vlounteers a lot of his time to:

http://www.barnswallow.net/

Charlie, you should tell your story on how you found Lancelot the injured owl and came upon Barnswallow. :)

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Props to Charlie for his work with these amazing animals.

I could have used your help about three weeks ago though, Charlie. I was headed through town at about 11pm when I saw something in the road. I slammed on the brakes and got out to find an large, injured barred owl. If I had to guess, I would say it had struck a windshield on a passing car. It was standing and fairly alert, but the only movement it made was to turn it's head to watch what I was doing.

Not knowing what to do, I started calling anyone I thought might be awake in hopes they could help me. I sat, blocking one lane of traffic for about an hour as 100 or so cars drove by. I finally called the police department after I had been there for 20 minutes, and they said they would send someone out. No one ever showed, but finally a patrol vehicle just happened to drive by and called for someone to bring the animal control vehicle out. I really wish I had known what to do with it, to get it the help it needed quicker.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That reminds me several years ago when my sister was on her way to work. She came across an owl on the side of the road - hurt. She said she can remember it looking her straight in the eye as she drove by like it was asking her for help. Didn't have cell phones back then. When she got to work, she told her boss that she needed to take an injured owl to the shelter and was going to get a box out of the back room to put it and and go back to get it. Her boss said if she did that, she would be late for work (about 1/2 hour she guesses) and that she would be fired. So of course she didn't. She has always wondered/hoped that someone stopped to help the helpless owl. :cry:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Missed this last week. Wow that's quite a friend to have. I envy you Charlie. Most of us just get to work with the Turkeys and dream of flying with the Eagles. (old quote, sorry couldn't resist!)
I live in the middle of 30 acres of old oaks and love to hear the owls. One of my favorite creatures. Thanks for what you do!
--Laura

1 - 12 of 12 Posts