Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At 55 I'm no kid. I bought the Bullit because it's the car I always wanted but raising three kids couldn't afford...until now. Back in the day I had a Plymouth Roadrunner and I remember all too well the symphony those two glasspacks made. I truly dig everything about the Bullitt except, for me now, the sound of the pipes (while great for a factory production car) were just a little too subdued for my taste and what I wanted, along with the performance. I thought long and hard about changing the mufflers but boy am I ever happy I did. For those of you who would rather die than alter the Bullitt, believe me I hear 'ya. But for the few of you out there that secretly still crave a more muscular tone, for the price you can't go wrong with the Pypes Violators. Ordered mine from AmericanMuscle.com on Wed. and on Friday they were sitting on my front porch. A buddy helped me pull the old set off and in about an hour I shot this video. I love the old musclecar roar these pipes give off and for a little over two hundred bucks..it's the best mod and the best "bang for your buck" out there. Forgive me Steve....I had to do it!:lol:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-2005-gt-violator.html Out of stock right now but if you call Pypes direct you may still be able to find some

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
They sound really nice! The Pypes look quite smaller. Would you happen to know the difference in weight between one of the stock mufflers and one of the Pypes?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I went a step further and got the Pypes muffler deletes. After checking the stats on Ford Racing mufflers, I found the straight pipes to be only slightly louder. I haven't heard the Violators yet, but I can tell you that the deletes sound just like my '67 GT390.
Ratman

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
Wheelman said:
At 55 I'm no kid. I bought the Bullit because it's the car I always wanted but raising three kids couldn't afford...until now. Back in the day I had a Plymouth Roadrunner and I remember all too well the symphony those two glasspacks made. I truly dig everything about the Bullitt except, for me now, the sound of the pipes (while great for a factory production car) were just a little too subdued for my taste and what I wanted, along with the performance. I thought long and hard about changing the mufflers but boy am I ever happy I did. For those of you who would rather die than alter the Bullitt, believe me I hear 'ya. But for the few of you out there that secretly still crave a more muscular tone, for the price you can't go wrong with the Pypes Violators. Ordered mine from AmericanMuscle.com on Wed. and on Friday they were sitting on my front porch. A buddy helped me pull the old set off and in about an hour I shot this video. I love the old musclecar roar these pipes give off and for a little over two hundred bucks..it's the best mod and the best "bang for your buck" out there. Forgive me Steve....I had to do it!:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jHiBHqgTwU

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-2005-gt-violator.html Out of stock right now but if you call Pypes direct you may still be able to find some
BRAVO! Damn the purists and full speed ahead. I have the same feeling about the Bullitt exhaust note. Will be changing mine in the future also.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
SWEET sounding. I thought they sounded awesome after leaving my house last night. They just roared down 5th St. LOL

Thanks for the video of the raceway. I really appriciate that dude.

Rob
2008Bullitt0867

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No Apologies

Thanks Rob. I know Ford doesn't come out with a special car like the Bullitt every day and I would have much prefered to keep her as designed BUT I want the whole American Muscle Car experience and Damn it that includes an exhaust that sounds the part. Now IMO it really, really does and that's the way it oughta' be. Considering my age, the gas situation and the outlook of the car market in general this will probably be my last go 'round at a really fast street car and I wanted to do it up the "old school" way...loud and proud. Now when some young buck revs his engine passing by I can at least bark back. Hey, I've got a feeling my next car may be running a pack of Duracell's instead of a heart throbbing V-8 anyway so I figure "if ya got 'em...smoke 'em!":shine:

P.S. In case some of you missed the Nats this year I shot this clip at Myrtle Beach Speedway. It's my buddy Rob (2008Bullitt0867) and his pass. Talk about modding the Bullitt, he installed (yes did the installation himself) a Magnacharger. Now that's what I call a mod!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFYwdUZFAKo&feature=user

And here's a good taste of the Mustang Week experience, I'm goin' for more next year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coc3i2Y98-k&NR=1

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
The one thing I like about the 08 Bullitt is there is no drone sound at any RPM. My 07 Mustang Gt had it, until I installed my slp system. Now that you got your new axle-backs , do you have a drone sound when going down the freeway?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
sounds nice, i modded my 01 for the same reason, went with Flowmaster single chamber race mufflers, just never sounded mean enough until i got those on her!!

have fun with it, now go out and scare some old ladies!!

shaun

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<HR style="COLOR: #666666" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->The one thing I like about the 08 Bullitt is there is no drone sound at any RPM. My 07 Mustang Gt had it, until I installed my slp system. Now that you got your new axle-backs , do you have a drone sound when going down the freeway
<DIV>In stock form the Bullitt has a very slight exhaust note while cruising at moderate hwy speed, these Pypes Violators increase that same note by 100%, probably twice as noticable IMO. I was never really bothered by this in fact I like it. If by drone you mean an annoying bothersome pitch that invades the car's interior even with the windows up than I don't have that problem with this set-up. Plus I regularly leave home in a very quiet neighborhood at 10 pm and at idle this exhaust is quiet enough not to be a problem. Don't get me wrong, you can hear it, but it won't rattle the window shutters. Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also just put a set of violators on #1687, they sound great, Heck even my 50 year old dad says "STOMP IT THIS THING SOUNDS MEAN".

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Wheelman said:
At 55 I'm no kid. I bought the Bullit because it's the car I always wanted but raising three kids couldn't afford...until now. Back in the day I had a Plymouth Roadrunner and I remember all too well the symphony those two glasspacks made. I truly dig everything about the Bullitt except, for me now, the sound of the pipes (while great for a factory production car) were just a little too subdued for my taste and what I wanted, along with the performance. I thought long and hard about changing the mufflers but boy am I ever happy I did. For those of you who would rather die than alter the Bullitt, believe me I hear 'ya. But for the few of you out there that secretly still crave a more muscular tone, for the price you can't go wrong with the Pypes Violators. Ordered mine from AmericanMuscle.com on Wed. and on Friday they were sitting on my front porch. A buddy helped me pull the old set off and in about an hour I shot this video. I love the old musclecar roar these pipes give off and for a little over two hundred bucks..it's the best mod and the best "bang for your buck" out there. Forgive me Steve....I had to do it!:lol

I know how feel,about searching for the right exhaust note! I came up with my own "Totally Tuned" system which uses A MAC Flowpath on the left,for rumbly bass,and the Pypes Violator on the right for that louder mid-range tone,all on my 2001 Bullitt! I need to figure out how to do the Youtube thing!
The Violator I have was an early model without any packing inside the can. Are the new ones still like that?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know how feel,about searching for the right exhaust note! I came up with my own "Totally Tuned" system which uses A MAC Flowpath on the left,for rumbly bass,and the Pypes Violator on the right for that louder mid-range tone,all on my 2001 Bullitt! I need to figure out how to do the Youtube thing!
The Violator I have was an early model without any packing inside the can. Are the new ones still like that?
I'm not really sure of the interior construction of the Violators. Glad you found what works for you though! I like the idea of a pretty strong exhaust note (especially at WOT) without having to ditch the CATS and fool with the computer. I really don't want to give Ford any excuse to void the warranty should I run into a problem down the road. BTW ... YouTube? Just sign up for an account, follow the on-screen prompts. I'm no computer whiz ... if I can do it ... I'm sure you can.:wink:

·
Registered
47 Posts
The violator mufflers on my bullitt are not packed with anything, I took a flashlight and looked up inside of them and it appears to be a tube with what looks like a cheesgrater or an old cherrybomb glasspack lovers punched in it, but I could see the inside of the mufflers outer casing. looks cleaner in the inside than on the outside. But my local parts house had two versions of the violator one was refered to as the street pro version if I remember correctly, and that was a packed style violator with some sort of sound dampining material. same price though. Mine sound great, same Bullitt sound just cranked up

·
Charles
13,307 Posts
s197_guy said:
I would have made the car louder if I could but I had to keep the car under 80.0 dBA in legal noise certification. Hold on to your stock mufflers - those tips are pretty expensive!
My company is designing a refinery with that requirement. 85 dBA is the norm. Makes a huge difference. For a factory exhaust its as good as I've heard. The tone is great.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.