Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever swap out the stock engine on a Ranger for a newer 4.0 or 5.0 with new tranny? I have a 1998 with the 2.9 V-6 with over 130,000. There just doesn't seem to be much power there and the 5-spd tranny is getting a little "clunky". Was thinking of getting a drivetrain of a 4.0 to put into it. The body and interior is in good shape. It is a 4 wheel drive extended cab also. Thanks gang for any advise!
Cam

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Yeah man,I have seen Rangers with transplanted 5.0,302 engines. Now this was an older Ranger,but it will most likely require some rewiring. A complete donor 5.0 Stang would be the easy way to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
They sell kits for this exact thing. I was thinking about doing it with my '95 Ranger. There are 5.0 kits that include everything you'll need for the swap.. and believe it or not there's a kit for putting a 351 in the Ranger. So.. it'll take I'll see if I can dig up the info I used to have for mine and post it here for you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Couldn't you just swap in the SOHC 4.0? I know that engine was available in the Exlorer in '98, did it come in the Ranger as well? If so, I would imagine it would be easier to swap it in than reworking the wiring and all for the 5.0, especially since the SOHC 4.0 has very similar power numbers to the 5.0 truck engine.

Just a thought...

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was originally thinking of a complete 4.0 and tranny to just bolt into place but I also know you can get a 5.0 into the 88 Ranger as well. I've never tried to do anything so grand and was wondering if anyone else had gone through the experience and could tell me if its worth it or a nightmare. You don't think having the Bullitt has anything to do with my thoughts of the 5.0 do you???? :;):
Cam

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey Chilli - Are you talking about an '88 Ranger or a '98 Ranger??

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry Cam... I was confused by your first post that said it was a 1998. My experience has been with a 1999 Explorer for which both the SOHC 4.0 and the 5.0 truck engine were offered.

I have seen both Rangers and Bronco II's with 5.0 transplants, so I know it can be done. Unfortunately, I can't provide any details, although it sounds like Blakwing may be able to dig up some info for you.

Sorry for confusing the issue....

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts