Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Question after Pro Chamber install

392 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Old Mustanger 
#1 ·
Well let me just say that I have had the Pro Chamber sitting in my garage since last christmas and finall had a chance to install it. What a difference, it sounds freakin' awesome and I'm lovin' it so far. However, after driving it a couple days, yesterday on my way home from work the "service engine soon" light came on.
I did install Mil Eliminaters that I bought from someone online that makes them. I soldered them in and covered with heat shrink plus electrical tape and then put on a waterproof electrical coating.
My only thoughts are that one or both of them have possibly failed but i have no way to test. I did check for exhaust leaks when I installed and corrected a small one that I found, I don't think there is another exhaust leak but would that cause the light to come on? Or is it for sure the Mil Eliminaters?
I heard you couldn't reset the "service engine light" by disconnecting the negative battery terminal but I tried it anyway and it worked. The light is off for now but i would expect it to come back.
Do you think this would for sure be a failer with the Mils or would an exhaust leak also cause the light to come on? Thanks for any input on this.

#3 ·
Mine did the same, but it took a month or so to trip the SES light. my MIL's meted in half though. Since replaced them with Steeda and several months later, no problems.

I wouldn't think it's because of an exhaust leak if the MIL's are working properly. I have a small leak and still no SES light. That reminds me, I need to fix that leak.

#6 ·
critter said:
Thanks for the input guys. I haven't been under the car yet to inspect the Mil eliminators yet but I plan to this weekend.
What are the best Mil Eliminators out there? Is it Steeda?

I don't know what all brands are out there, but I bought the ones off Ebay since they were about $10 cheaper, but I ended up turning back around after my second pair meltedand bought the Steeda's, which I've had no problems with. I would go with Steeda, they're not expensive, and many others have them as well with no problems.

#8 ·
go with steeda or equivalent quality, then wrap the wires in heat shield wrap before installing, being careful not to tape/wrap too tightly and cause wires to touch pipes...

i did this, and used some zip ties to properly place/hold them, and have never had a problem since...

however, also check your O2 sensors in the front AND back, could be one got loose, or even got too cruded up, and will cause issues rather than MIL...

good luck!

shaun

#10 ·
what i mean by "cruded up" is that if you ended up running rich, the O2 sensors can get carbon buildup and dirty, or even dirty just from when you handled them transferring them from old pipes to new pipes...

so you have to check and make sure they are not too dirty, or "cruded up" as i like to say!

shaun

#11 ·
I never thought about running rich, that might explain the strong exhaust smell, or maybe that is just the way it is when you dump the cats. If I'm running rich what is the best way to correct this? I'm guessing a tune but unfortunately with a new lil' one in the house that is not in my budget, any suggestions?

#12 ·
I ended up zip tieing the mils to the transmission output shaft crossmember. If you get it just right you can get them tucked up enough where they'll be out of the way and less likely to get wet when it rains. I went with the ones off ebay and havent had any probelms since.

Oh and BTW, your exhaust will smell a bit different now since the cats are gone. I can tell its a bit different b/c the exhaust tips are getting coated with black carbon deposits.

#13 ·
I have the Steeda MIL eliminators installed with Mac O/R H since March, no SES lights and passed Texas smog inspection today without having to put the cats back on for the inspection (no sniffer used for this inspection if the computer is not throwing any codes to the inspection computer). Bottom line, sometimes you have to pay for quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.