Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing two tires for the rear only for when I go down to the track. I was thinking of between the Nitto NT555R or the Mickey Thompson Street Tires. What tires have you guys tried and what would you recommend.

note: I can not get slicks because I have to drive these tires to the track.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a set of Mickey Thompsons for my 68 stang. I wouldn't recommend driving these on the street. They are slicks with grooves in them with a stiffer sidewall. I also have a set of BFG Drags for my fathers 88 stang and those we drive on full time on and off the track. They hook up better as they wear down.

A friend of mine with a 95 Cobra also has the BFGs and he only drives to the track with them and races on them and drives back and hasn't had any problems. Another friend has a 91 stang that he drives on his Nitto Drags full time and hasn't had any problems either.

So it really depends on what you want. A track tire thats legal for DOT class. Or a good track/street tire. For the price the Nittos are better and they hook up good even while they are new. The BFGs need to be worn down a bit for max bite. And the Mickeys...well i'll say they are basically slicks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info :smile:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a long ways to drive to the drag strip and don't want the haslte of swapping rims at the track. So, I have to have a tire that can make an 1 1/2 hour round trip.

I use a nitto 275/40 555R tire mounted on my cobra R 17X9 rims. They work excellent and I've cut more than a couple sub 1.90 60fts, the bets being 1.887. (on a bonestock bullitt).

They usually last 10,000 daily driven miles. Can't beat em for that versatility.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts