Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001,Ford Mustang GT Bullitt Edition
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My Bullitt has multiple paint chips on the front hood of the car (too many for touch up paint) and several small scratches around the car. I wanted to repaint it the same dark highland green color to make it look nicer and keep the car in great condition, but I was told by some people that it would probably lower the value of the car. So my ultimate question is should I repaint my Bullitt to fix all the chips and scratches?

·
Premium Member
16,038 Posts
The thing about repaints is that it's hard for potential buyers to determine if any bondo is under fresh paint without a paint thickness thingamajob. It also leads to thoughts that maybe the car was wrecked and repaired. So yes, it might lower the car's value, depending on the quality of the job.

That said, hey man...it's your car. If you plan on keeping it for a spell, and it's current state bugs you, paint away. It's not like any Bullitt of any year is going to be a 6 figures or more collector car in the near future...

·
Registered
543 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Get your car repainted and make sure you keep a series of photos with date stamps showing the body in various conditions of repair to show it had no body damage before repaint, no major bondo applied and a great paint job.

This would be no different than a guy selling any car that has been redone from the ground up and has photos of the restoration as proof.

I’d say paint it and enjoy your ride!

·
Premium Member
18,435 Posts
If you are considering selling the car near term, leave it as is. But, if you're keeping it and obviously those chips are bothering you, get a quality respray.

·
Registered
Less then 27k miles,Marti Report, Options: Ambient Lighting, Active anti-theft
10 Posts
Concur with the previous responses. Several years ago, I failed to safety latch the hood on DHG#5430. In the rain at about 30 mph it flew up - but miraculously the windshield wipers' upstroke stopped it from cracking the windshield or curling back over the roof! Both hinges were destroyed as was the hood - but neither front fender or roof was damaged.

After $1000 deductible, my insurance covered the remainder of the repair under "damage other than collision".

With only 23k+ miles on it at the time, I too was nervous about the repair. My paintless dent repair guy suggested a reputable shop, and 27 days plus an additional $1490 later I was satisfied. If you do replace the hood, use a Ford OEM (about $1100) not an aftermarket supplier. All Ford body panels are stamped with their small oval surrounding the script, but on the S197 the stamping is hidden by the hood liner/insulation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts