I blew my amp a few months back and I haven't had money to replace. Can that blown amp(s) drain my battery and kill my car? I didn't drive it for a week last month because of trips to Mass and Kentucky? Thanks.
Lemme ask you this. I had my battery replaced a few months back and just recently my car died completely (see alternator thread). If I had a faulty alternator, wouldn't the electronics in my car act funny (fading lights, etc)? I jumped the car today and all the systems were fine, except for not charging the battery and having to rejump the car at my gf's mom's house. Does that make sense? And if it is the amp in the back, I should just disconnect the wires in front of the housing?
1)Use a multi meter, start the car and put the probes on the correct battery terminals .The reading on the display should read like 13.5-14.2ish, if its any less then 13, you defiantly have a problem. If you get a good reading turn some "loads" on while the car idles,I usually do high beams and rear defrost.Again the reading should not be below 13V. If the readings where in the low 13v range I would suspect a dieing alternator. You could also give the engine a litle gas (around 2000 rpms) in both situations and see what it reads.
2) Get a automotive test light take off your + battery terminal, put the test light between the battery terminal and the battery cable. If the test light lights up bright then you have a draw which will kill your battery. If its dim then its probably just the alarm or clock\radio. You could isolate a draw by pulling fuses and when the light goes out or gets dim then you know where to start looking for a draw.
P.s. You have to pull the fuses with the car doors closed.
It is possible for a bad voltage regulator in a alternator to draw the battery down.
A forum community dedicated to Mustang Bullitt owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, production numbers, restoration, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!