Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy on a local board has a 4.6 from a 96 or 98 police crown vic. It has 46,000 on the clock and comes with wiring harness, ecu, exhaust manifolds, everything. He is down to $50 and I have to pick it up. My question is, what are the differences between the police crown vic motors and the standard 4.6's in that era? I know my 98 GT had the 4.6 but was non pi heads. Would this have pi heads if it came out of a police vic? For $50 I thought about getting it just to have a spare to build up over the next couple of years and then just do a swap.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The engine is the same as any other crown vic. It has npi heads. The police crown vics may (depending on year and options) have steeper gears, lighter driveshafts, better cooling systems, different torque converters, better suspensions, different computer controls, but the engine itself is no different than a standard crown vic (same intake, same cams, same compression, etc.)

If you use the this engine short block with the PI heads, you will gain compression.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would I be able to use my ECU from the Bullitt if I just use the shortblock from the vic? I doubt I'd use the stock Bullitt heads, probably go aftermarket heads with better cams. It's a great deal on this motor, but if it's gonna be a pain then I'll just let it go. Also, I don't even know if it has the COP ignition or coil packs, do they interchange, or do I have to keep the same ignition it comes with? I'd prefer the COP's. And will the motor mate up with the 3650?

·
Premium Member
18,430 Posts
itsabullitt said:
Would I be able to use my ECU from the Bullitt if I just use the shortblock from the vic? I doubt I'd use the stock Bullitt heads, probably go aftermarket heads with better cams. It's a great deal on this motor, but if it's gonna be a pain then I'll just let it go. Also, I don't even know if it has the COP ignition or coil packs, do they interchange, or do I have to keep the same ignition it comes with? I'd prefer the COP's. And will the motor mate up with the 3650?
Just a thought. If you get it, you have got it. Decide later what to do with it. $50.00 isn't anything for a CV engine. If nothing else you can flip it should you decide not to use it.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I don't want a $50.00 paperweight sitting in the garage. I just want to know what all it would take to put it in the Bullitt, and what are the differences in the two motors. (Bullitt vs. Crown vic). Since the heads are non pi, if I put the pi heads on it, I was told my cam choices would be limited because of valve to piston clearance issues. Also, the ignition and ecu, can I swap these parts out and use the bullitt ecu and ignition with the crown vic motor since I'll be using the bullitt intake? If I want to use the Bullitt intake, I assume I have to use the PI heads, and now here I go with the cam issue again. My plan was to build this motor as a "just in case something happens to my" motor. As far as flipping it, it's on a local site now and has been for a while and the price started at $100.00, couple of hits with people saying "I want it, have money will pick it up today", but never do. It's now down to $50.00. I'm sure somebody would want it later on if I decided not to use it, but doesn't look like they're around here and shipping would be a pain. I think I'm just gonna let it go. If something happens with my motor, I'll go crate engine since I'd be completely rebuilding this motor anyway. But if anybody wants this motor, let me know and I'll give you the contact info.

·
Registered
826 Posts
You can put all your bullitt stuff on the CV short block. Your cam choices are limited but not eliminated. Check to see if the CV crank has 6 bolts or 8 bolts for the flywheel; your bullitt has 6 bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts