Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE...Questions on Weld Draglite/tire combos......

Some questions on Weld Wheel/ tire combos. I have a pair of 15x9 with 5.5 BS, Draglites. Anyone run these with a M/T 275x50x15 Drag Radial?
These wheels have old Hoosier 27x10.50x15 QT Pros mounted,which are to tall ...27 OD.and too old.
My M/T tires are on my Torque Thrust 15x8 with 4 5/8ths BS,and that setup has the tire sticking out a little too much,could contact the fender lip.
I might gain a 1/4 inch,at most,of inward back space,if I mount the M/T's on the Welds,since most of that gain would be offset by the extra wheel width.
So what size Draglites has anyone else had success with?

·
Registered
494 Posts
You will be good with the 275/50. That equals to a 26 tire. Back spacing will be fine.

Chad

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
For all the trouble,mounting the tires onto the Draglites,I didn't gain much in Back Space. The sidewall of the M/T is still outside the fender by 1/4 inch. From the tread part of tire to the inside fender lip area,I have 3 inches of clearence,anymore vertical suspension movement,and there would be tire contact across the full fender lip width...about 3/4 inch.
What I might do is add an Air Lift bag,inside the right rear spring,to help counter torque movement,during a drag launch.
Another thing, install a sliding collar,just under the rear shock shields,put the stock tires on,and drive over dips,driveway enterance
,and a nice launch in 1st gear,and see what the maximum upward travel of the rear is.
Yeah mounting those tires on a 10x15 6.5 BS Draglite would pull the tire in the right amount,but didn't want to spend another $400 bucks for wheels,just for race duty.
If it dosen't work,safely,just screw it and run on the street tires,and sell the whole mess!!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Made a little test yesterday. To determine rear suspension movement,I took 2 short pieces of vacuum hose and tie wrapped each piece around the lower shock body,touching the outer shock shield.
Put the stock Bullitt wheels/tires back on,and went for a drive. Going over normal dips,and accelerating hard in 1st and 2nd gear,from a roll,to get the most front end lift,rear end squat.
Jacked up car and noted the movement of the hose around the shock, about 1 5/8ths inch rear movement. Remembiering I have a safe max of 3 inch vertical tire to fender lip clearence,2 3/4 to be safe.
I will add one Air Lift bag,on right rear only,to offset axle rotation/right rear squat,as a measure of safety for the drag launches with those Mickey's! Plus it will help with traction.
Hope it works out. Will only run these M/T drag radials on the track only. Tires sticking out,make me nervous!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts