Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of my Bullitt (Bullitt4026) apparently installed an aftermarket shifter in the car. My understanding (based on threads he posted on this site), is that he bought a Hurst model and then ground down the stick to the factory shifter height and reinstalled the Bullitt Billet ball for a stock look. It's not a bad set-up, I just need to customize it to my fit. I am 6'4"; therefore, the stock shifter height is a bit of a reach with the seat all the way back (I'm long-legged, not long armed). Plus, I've always wanted a car with a black interior and a classic white shifter ball ever since I saw the combination on my father's 64 GTO. Here are my questions:

1 - What transmission does the Bullitt come with stock? T-5, T-45, Tremec, etc. I'm pretty embarassed to have to ask this. :redface:

2 - Are their shifter extenders (to add an inch or two to your existing shifter height)?

3 - Does anyone have the taller Hurst shifter / White shift ball combo currently on their car? (Pictures??)

4 - Will any stick fit my Hurst shifter?

My suspicion is that I am going to have to order a replacement Hurst shifter stick and Hurst white ball. To do that, I need to know what the transmission is to determine the shifter model number to determine the right stick for the tranny. (Then I have to find the right place to order the parts from). Any guidance in this would help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We have the Tremec 3650 tranny. You might try the MGW shifter handle and customize the placement of the ball. I know some of the other guys have this type of set-up. I have the whole MGW shifter and love it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jmag said:
We have the Tremec 3650 tranny. You might try the MGW shifter handle and customize the placement of the ball. I know some of the other guys have this type of set-up. I have the whole MGW shifter and love it.
The factory transmission in a Bullitt is the Tremec 3650?? Is that true for the standard 2001 GT as well?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Hey Professor - I know you just got your Bullitt and are new to the site, but there is a TON (and I mean literally 2000 pounds) of incredibly detailed information about our cars in the "Bullitt Archive".

Here is a link: http://www.bullittarchive.com/WebHelp/BullittArchive.htm

Even easier, you can simply click on the link that is at the very top of this page that says "Bullitt Archive".

Or you can just ask us because we LOVE to talk about these cars. Just figured since you were new, you might not have seen that link which is a great resource.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Help!!!

Okay. Apparently the aftermarket shifter that was installed in my car is a Hurst Billet Plus (Part No. 3915035). I can't find any specifications for the shifter (mostly interested in the specs on the shifter stick). I have, however, found out that all Hurst shifter sticks will fit all Hurst shifters. One option would be to buy a Hurst chrome shifter stick which isn't exactly designed for my shifter, but has a reasonable profile (Part No. 5388550). And this shifter would work with both the stock Bullitt know or the white knob I want (Part No. 1630014). The shift stick is $60 and the knob is $30, plus shipping. However ..... I found a combination package for $67 at Summit Racing(Hurst Part No. 5380035), which includes the stick, the white knob and a boot (don't need or want the boot). This unit is actually designed for 83-93 Mustang T-5 trannies. It is only .1" shorter and .5" different on the offset (the distance between the center of the ball and the center of the shifter). I'm thinking it will work for significantly less $$$$. The only reason I think it might be stated as compatible with the T-5 might be just the boot or a direct bolt up to stock (but I am bolting to a Hurst shifter mechanism). Thoughts????

Or ... one of you guys who has already done this mod can point me in the right direction in terms of sources and part numbers.:confused:

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I have a similar problem with reach. I installed a Tri-Ax early on and simply couldn`t tolerate having to bend over, feeling like I`m reaching for the floor AND reaching way over to get 3rd.
I put the stock handle on for a while and it was better in that I didn`t have to bend over.
Finally, I came across the Steeda Comfort Pro Shifter Handle and it solved all my problems.
It is slightly taller than stock and is bent in a slight "S" shape to the left and back. It puts the knob in exactly the right place. It even helped eleminate the 1-2 crunch I was getting (that and Royal Purple). I doubt it will fit the Hurst though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmm. I just measured the Hurst shifter stick that is on it. It is only about 6 inches high. Does anyone know how tall the stock shifter is. The Hurst stick that I am interested in is 8.5 inches high. I wonder how much taller than the stock shifter that is?? I don't want it to be so ridiculously tall that it looks out of place. Our interiors have a nice retro look, but I don't want the shifter to look like it is a transplant from a pickup truck. Bueller? Anyone?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts