Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick little pole. If you have a set of R-coumpound tires, how many miles do you get out of them and what do you mainly use them for (85% street, 15% drag strip or 100% open track,...)

I know this will vary a lot, but I am just trying to get some idea of how well some of the different brands hold up to street driving.

·
Registered
258 Posts
unless you're talking about drag radials, it's generally a bad idea to use R-comps on the street. lot's of reasons, tire wear, wet grip, tread depth, sidewall strength, tire noise, etc.

that being said, some hold up longer than others. obviously hoosiers, kumho v710's etc are track only. toyo ra1's, yokohama advan a048's, kuhmo v700 victoracers, michelin pilot sport cup's, pirelli pzero corsa's may hold up better.

if you're talking about open track tires that you can drive on a limited basis, the yoko. 048's might be the ticket. they're not an auto-x tire or a drag racing tire though, they're fairly hard and take a bit of open track to heat them up. but, much stickier than an extreme summer tire.

otherwise another option is a set of falken azenis rt615's. good overall compromise. 200 treadwear vs. something like an ra1 which is around 120 (for example, hoosiers are 60 or so). if you can find a set of bridgestone re-01r's in your size, that's a nearly perfect tire. 140 treadwear, takes heat really well, can be used on track, auto-x, and the street. i know a lot of guys that swear by them. they don't come in 275 17's though, so no good for me. they do come in stock size. not sure about sizes for 18's.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
luke partridge said:
unless you're talking about drag radials, it's generally a bad idea to use R-comps on the street. lot's of reasons, tire wear, wet grip, tread depth, sidewall strength, tire noise, etc.
Obviously there are going to be major compromises. However, I don't think driving on RA1s, Nittos or pilot sport cups would be worse than some of the drag radials. In fact the deepest tread I could find of any R-compound was the RA1. If I remember correctly the BFgoodrich DR have a wear rating of like 30. The Nittos DR wear much better though. Now like you said, some of the other would need to be dry weather only and wear real quick. That is why I posted this. I just wanted to see how much some people were getting with various R-compound tires.

I will have to look into the Bridgestone's and see if they come in a good size, that could be a nice compromise.

Thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
from what i understand DR and pure R-comps are really kinda apples and oranges. The wear rating may be similar, but a set of track tires are designed to heat cycle differently. daily driving a set of R-comps will heat cycle them every time you drive 20-30 miles, maybe less. really a good set of r-comps can only be heat cycled so many times, say 10-15 times. after that the rubber becomes hard and difficult to get up to temperature. i've certainly heard of guys using ra1's as street tires, but i'd also suspect that they don't work as well where they were designed.

give the bridgestones or the 048's a go. i know that the 048's will last better than the ra1's. look on tire rack and go through everything. i think the michelin's are also probably okay. hard tire too, but from what i hear, great once heated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts