Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way to work I noticed a 1996-1998 Cobra Convertible entering the freeway at wide open throttle.The car obviuosly had flowmasters and was lowered with Cobra R wheels.It looked kinda tacky though because it had about a 6" raised cowl hood and the windows where tinted so dark that you could not even see in the vehicle.He immediately got in front of me in the fast lane where I was going about 80mph.I did not crowd him or drive aggresively,but I was curious as to how my Bullitt would do.The wait was not long.He downshifted and nailed the accelerator as did I.I pulled so that that if I had kept into it I would have hit his car.He thin slamed on his brakes!At this time I backed way off because I figured that he was not only a sore looser,but an idiot as well!I then had a second chance and was farther behind him when again he nailed it.This time I pulled him again-hard.At this time we where in a sweeping curve at 130mph and I had already had to let off the gas to avoid hitting him,when again he nailed the brakes so hard that the rear suspension unloaded and the rearend of his car slid to the left towards the divider and he very nearly ate it!He then slowed way down and I passed him finally at about 70mph.What an #&*hole!He was definitely in over his head and was a lousy driver to boot!Further up the highway he passed me in a 50mph zone doing about 90 and I just let him go-to avoid him hurting himself or someone else.This was early in the morning on a sparsley traveled interstate highway with very little traffic.Also I am an ex-police officer with several pursuit driving classes under my belt,so dont berate me too much,as I was well within my limits-he was not,so I bavked off.Our cars where definitly better in acceleration and handling though.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Let the berating begin!!!
Bad cop! You should know better than that. I think that most proplr that own mustangs are kids that really shouldn't have them in the first place. Be careful.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most Cobras are adult driven.Most kids cant afford the car or the insurance.When I realized that he was in over his head,I backed off.All of us violate traffic laws and probably all of us haved tried the potential of our Bullitts at one time or the other,to varying degrees.Just my two cents worth!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Even ex-cops love their toys, and I think it's great! One thing I've noticed is that a lot of Bullitt owners are a bit older and a lot more mature than the normal Mustang buyer. Being 41, I can certainly relate, maybe it's because these cars make us feel much younger! But, at least we are mature drivers, and know when we reach our limits. :smile:

:bullitt:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here in St Louis I've had a few try to race me, but I just keep away- maturity is a good thing! One guy had a brand new GT convertible. He nailed it, passed me on the right just as the minivan in front of him hit the brakes. He kept accelerating and at the last millisecond cut hard left into the left lane, still accelerating, barely missing the van and a guy in the left lane. I'll bet his girlfriend/wife gave him hell all the way home!!
PS: Where's a cop when you need one?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I know what it's like. You want to have a good time and the other guy ends up being from another world. Too bad there isn't more commeraderie among all Mustangers. - or among car enthusiasts, in general.

It's easy to see that Bullitt drivers are not out to make obvious statements like the 'Cowl-Hood' crowd.

I bet alot of us tend to keep our weopons concealed.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I mostly race up to 4th gear.If I dont get them by then it's too much to pay for ticket.Alot of things can and will go wrong past 100mph.

·
Registered
309 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-15 17:05, bullitt0399 wrote:
I mostly race up to 4th gear.If I dont get them by then it's too much to pay for ticket.Alot of things can and will go wrong past 100mph.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Going fast won't hurt anyone. It's the sudden stop that sucks. :wink:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds like he really was in over his head. Hitting the brakes in a curve? What an idiot.

/me thinks teenager was borrowing dad's car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey sounds like fun to me, if your not going to run them once in awhile then why have them? I ran across a "nicer" Cobra driver one morning and we stood off in them at about 60 mph or so My Bullitt stayed out front by about a car length or two up to about 130mph. I lifted slighty when i lost him in my mirror and he passed me then had I to slow down, coming up on traffic. Nice thing about it was still in 4th gear. Very couriuos to see what topping out 4th and 5th will do? He didnt act like a dick or anything
but may not challenge another Bullitt so quickly.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well I am 46 and have been a cop for almost 25 years now. I teach pursuit and executive protection driving. With all that I still love to romp my Bullitt. I can't help it. I'm a bad, bad cop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts