Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all... i really need ur help to help me out understand better an issue i got with my bullitt... needless to say im upset abotu this issue.
ok... i went to ford dealer becasue the car was making some noise when turning the steering wheel. like suspension that goes dead. they told me i need to change the rack and pinion. i have no idea of how this could happen as the car was sitting fora long time in my garage. anyhow i m asking for some help of you knowledgable guys and explain to me what it is.. what it does... how to replace it.. model i need and the cost. id like to know all the necessary information becaseu i do not want to get ripped off by the dealer. as they are asking me for a 1000 dollars. i think its too much.
plus i am still driving my car and want to know if it does any damage.ill get it fixed when ill have some cash. jsut bought a house and gotta limit the spending for a little while. i really am looking forward to your replies and thanks so much already.
yours sincerely.
G

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
blackmagik said:
hi all... i really need ur help to help me out understand better an issue i got with my bullitt... needless to say im upset abotu this issue.
ok... i went to ford dealer becasue the car was making some noise when turning the steering wheel. like suspension that goes dead. they told me i need to change the rack and pinion. i have no idea of how this could happen as the car was sitting fora long time in my garage. anyhow i m asking for some help of you knowledgable guys and explain to me what it is.. what it does... how to replace it.. model i need and the cost. id like to know all the necessary information becaseu i do not want to get ripped off by the dealer. as they are asking me for a 1000 dollars. i think its too much.
plus i am still driving my car and want to know if it does any damage.ill get it fixed when ill have some cash. jsut bought a house and gotta limit the spending for a little while. i really am looking forward to your replies and thanks so much already.
yours sincerely.
G
A tire shop with an alignment machine can perform this service. I'd call around and see what prices you can get for the work. It would not hurt to take the car to the bottom three bidders and see if they think that the steering rack is out. I think my bullitt just went off warranty, so the dealer isn't going to see this car anymore. Not that they saw it much already.:badgrin:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Mine makes that noise when the power steering fluid is low. It has to be topped up about every six months on my car.

It is a known problem that these systems leak fluid. Try topping up the fluid and then see if the noise goes away. Mine did.

The rack and pinion is part of the system and it works fine when the fluid is at the proper level.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will do .... thanks alot guys.. ill check this later today. i really think also its the power steering that needs fluid as i think that it leaks a bit too and they told me that.i already went to two places and told me the same price. but those are big companies like canadian tire and ford.i dont really trust any small shops in street corners to really touch my car. just dont trust them that much, if u know what im saying. butill do waht u guy are telling me and will check it up.
thanks again. amazing.

if anything ud like to help me out with and let me know.. please do...

great day..
G

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had my changed under warranty for noise and a leak, so did a few others, so I think it's a known problem.

However, depending on the noise, it may not need replacing. My new one made the same noise as the one they replaced for a while (I guess breaking in and needing to move some lubricant around). When I shipped my car over seas (took me 2 months to get it), the noise came back for a while when I'd turn at low speeds like in parking lots, etc (and randomly for about a year). I took the dust-boots off and packed lithium grease in everything in there I could, put the boots back on, then worked the steering wheel all the way back and forth for a while. It has been 2 years now and have not heard another squeal out of it!!

Just my experiance...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks.. ill get it checked though by a pro mustang shop specialized. i trust them more than the dealership and local car shops. ill try what ur telling me. i jsut dont want any complications on the car so ill just get it fixed. thanks for letting me know more about this issues... thanks a lot clark.
g

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Why spend big bucks when you can fix it by putting 2.50 worth of power steering fluid?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i would... i jsut hope that its not broken or that i will deteriorate my direction or anything like that.. i hate that noise, as if once of my suspension is dead making that puff puff noise everytime i go over a pothole or bumb, and when i turn the steering wheel. it makes me frustrated.
also, i feel like i lost some power.... is that normal? damnit it.. chain reaction of things i guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts