Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while looking at the front of the car, I noticed that behind the grill there was an area of shiny metal showing through and everything else was blacked out.

Upon inspection I noticed the fins on the radiator were bent down, causing the shiny reflection through the grill. Perhaps caused by high pressure washing but there was a patch of bent fins which caused this area to reflect a shiny spot through the grill. No don't laugh, or go ahead and laugh, but I noticed that behind this "radiator" and in front of the fan was another "radiator" type device. Now admittedly, I am not the brightest bulb on Broadway when it comes to mechanics but why the two radiator(?) appearing devices and what are they? I feel pretty stupid asking this because I know the answer will be obvious, so make it as painless as possible, what are they?

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I am not 100% positive but I would assume it is either ac cooling rad or trans cooling.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, that makes sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
See if you can trace the piping back to its source.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
A/C Condenser. No trans cooler on a manual-shift car (as a rule), and unless it's a "towing package" the trans cooler is typically in the radiator tank - takes up less space that way, liquid-to-liquid coolers are more efficient, and it better-regulates trans temps (provides warming to the trans fluid, when necessary). If ever you need to add an "auxiliary cooler" to an auto-trans vehicle, you should plumb it in AHEAD of the radiator-tank cooler, for that last reason specifically.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You can buy this type of tool to straighten the fins: Fin Tool . Air has to flow through the condenser for the A/C to work properly, air restriction at this point also restricts the radiator from getting air and will cause an overheat of the engine. You can buy theses tools anywhere parts are sold.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
duaneproctor said:
You can buy this type of tool to straighten the fins: Fin Tool . Air has to flow through the condenser for the A/C to work properly, air restriction at this point also restricts the radiator from getting air and will cause an overheat of the engine. You can buy theses tools anywhere parts are sold.
If you have more than just a few spang'd fins, they don't work for $#!*. Easier just to use a small screwdriver or knifeblade.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bullittheads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts