Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered that ram air kit from kar kraft? Can it be used with our air intake, or other mods like a densecharger? I just love the idea of making that scoupe functional, but am wondering why everyone isn't jumping on it.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I covered this also back around May. The KarKraft folks,dropped the ball on developing a version for the Bullitt. They said it was too much rework to make it worthwhile. I have since opened up the scoop,added a center post,and opened up the area where the Basic GT scoop was located. It now allows cooler outside air to flow around the intake,taking some of the engine heat off of it. With some work a pan,such as used on the new Shaker scoop could be made to bolt to the intake and seal to the hood,to feed cold air to the factory air box. I have elected for now to use the Densecharger....the 4 inch dia. unit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-09-18 20:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
98 Posts
Noone really makes a functional hood scoop worth beans for our car. I HATE the FAKE hood scoop and find it embarasing. Saleen makes a hood very similar to the original "Bullitt." I know in my heart some day it'll be the hood that will cover my modified "Magnum" Bullitt. Just keep your cars original hood in storage.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I'm wondering if it's open underneath the hood scoop or did you have to cut a hole in the hood to make the hoodscoop available to the engine. It would make sense that the colder air on the intake would improve performance.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Yes you have to remove the scoop. To do that:
1 Remove the hood pad.
2 You will see several small nuts securing the scoop to the hood....Remove these
3 Remove the plastic grill from scoop. You will have to cut out the area behind the grill. Be sure to leave about an inch or more of the lip inside the scoop opening. This will leave a ledge to fasten a center support to further secure the scoop to the hood. Without it the scoop will flutter at speed. I machined one out of a piece of aluminum stock. However,if you leave more lip than I did,you could make one out of a piece of 3/8 steel fuel line tubing and use the exsiting center stud hole. Just run a long sheet metal screw thru it into the lip. I had to make up a cute offset piece with a head to catch the scoop lip.
4 With scoop off you will see the place on the hood to cut the slot for air. I used a hole saw on the ends of the new opening,then cut with a jig saw. Just be carefull and take your time. Looks good when done!
5 You might want to make up an aluminum flap door to close it in wet weather.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping that the Ram Air from Kar Kraft would work because I love the scoupe, and want to make it functional, w/o cutting, removing or replacing it. I guess I'll just have to wait until someone comes up with something. If I make any mods I would like them to be as non evasive as possible, as to keep the Bullitt close to original.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I think that Ram Air would be nice with the stock hood, but no matter how you slice it theirs to many bends in the piping to make it cost effective compared to HP gains. Granted with a will theirs a way. I personally think going with a cai unit(Densecharger) and just opening an area in or onderneath the hood scoop with witch cold air could contact the intake would be beneficial in many ways. Any Ideas!!!!!!! to many external elements

1 - 9 of 9 Posts