Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday at Norwalk FFW, my dad and me are walking back to the stands as the True Street cars are coming back in from their 30 mile drive. We see a DHG Bullitt full of guys, I ask the driver what number Bullitt he had, he says #1!!! I think they were all Team Mustang guys. We watched 3 Bullitts run, including a Bullitt vs. Bullitt race. I won't mention what the times were though. They were running the Bullitts with passengers. Looking at the times, I think they had at least 4 people in each car. After the Bullitts ran some dude ripped off a 8.9 in True Street! It was a great day, but the only other Bullitts I saw were display cars, all DHG. I was hoping to meet a few guys.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It was my understanding that BULLLITT #01 was given to Steve McQueen's son. I believe there is an article about it somewhere. They presented it to him in San Francisco and he drove it around the same streets the original chase scene was filmed.

Eric

BULLITT #208

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Number1 did go to Chad McQueen. That was part of the deal in order for Ford to be able to use the BULLITT name. If those guys were from Ford, it might have been a pre-production model. I was unable to make it up there due to being off work on injury leave. I really wish I could've went. :sad: There were some guys on here from OH and MI that were talking about going, but I'm not sure who actually nade it.
Cam

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
McQueen's son has "McQueen 001" not Bullitt 0001. McQueen 001 was the first Bullitt built. I think they gave 2 to the McQueen family. So, Team Mustang may have Bullitt 0001. Unless Bullitt numbering started at 3. Rest assured, the realy low numbered cars are in the hands of Ford people.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Okay, time to set the record straight. Here is the truth about the numbering.

Ford produced 3 Bullitt Show cars:
-The first is the original concept car that had the 18" wheels, different instrument cluster, different decklid and one piece hood/hood scoop. This car was built from a '99 or '00 GT coupe. It had no underhood # label.
-The second car was the original production intent test car. It contained the themed parts for the cars you all know and love. This car again was built from a GT. It had a #00001 underhood but is not the true #1 since it is not a true Bullitt
-The third car was again a GT unit built with Bullitt parts on the assembly line for the Car Show circuit. It had a #00001 underhood but is not the true #1.

Now, for the production vehicles:
The true #00001 is owned by a person. Ford does have a fleet of press cars used for Magazine tests that are all officially numbered, but in no particular order.
The McQueen car has a special sticker as stated earlier.

This is one of the neat things about the Bullitt. Alot of thought was put into the serialization labels to increase the customer interest and create the types conversations that are ocurring today. While there has been some interesting feedback on the likes/dislikes, I think Team Mustang did a good job. What do you think?

·
Registered
568 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>

Wake up and smell the coffee, Ford, the Ricers are banging on your door again! :evil:
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Hear Hear!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well siad Nasty! I was one of the lucky ones too, getting a car that was built on a tuesday after the Monday hangovers were gone. It's a shame....

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,029 Posts
But what about my Bullette #344 built on a Wednesday!? She came through with some over-sees. Nothing real drastic but a lot of cosmetic problems! But we were "TOO picky" remember! :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i agree 101% bob BUT Ford has to deal with the UNIONS!!!!
working in the construction business here in St. Louis, i know ALL TOO WELL how much power that means for them.
some trades have so much power that you can NOT fire someone for bad attitude or poor performance. ( pipefitters here can sit around and laugh at you and you can't do squat about it) i imagine the assembly lines ahve some people with vested time that you can't "touch"

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
I agree Bob. How long now has the American pony cars ruled the strets only now to be taken over by the rivers? I think Ford has the ablity and the right ideas to correct that problem. But they have to watch the quality control. My paint was messed up at the factory (which you have to be standing a certain way to see) and in transport (which is VERY obvious). My sales rep told me it looked like the truck went through every mudhole and rock quary between Dearborn and Southern Ohio on his trip. I think that is another area where Ford could save a lot of paint problems is in the trransport process. The only real way to get the paint problem on mine fixed is repainted and I just can't bring my self to get it partially done. Now if I could take it back up to Dearborn and get the whole thing done at the factory that would be great. But we have to be real. But oerall, this car is just a hint at what is capable when Ford lets up on the reigns and lets the engineers do their thing.
Cam

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
MR. T - thanks for the clarification on the number scheme.

Nasty - I AGREE........

It's pure luck whether or not you get a well built car. It's a shame but true. I've bought brand new Lemons! Then again I'be bought some new cars that were good from the start. I think I got a good Bullitt so far...Is it because we have such a good exchange of information on this board or were these Bullitts really made exceptionaly poorly? Some of the blatant mistakes I've seen posted should have never happened...let alone not been caught during the final quality inspection.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Nasty is absolutley correct!

There is no excuse for building a car that costs close to $30k that comes with wrong/missing parts. A Honda Civic for half the price has better build quality!!

You would think that this being a special run there would be extra steps taken to insure things were done correctly. It doesn't take much commone sense to realize that, if you take a group of people used to doing the same repetitive task and ask them to make changes for a small number of vehicles they might make a mistake now and again. If there was ANY quality control at all these things would be caught!! QA, "Lets see...limited edition Bullitt. What are the special pieces? Are they all there? Are they fitted properly?" That's all it would have taken to avoid 90% or better of the issues we owners have. (I was one of the people who got a misfit from the factory. The passenger seat was from a GT and according to the dealer it wasn't even bolted in!) I also have other problems that include paint and squeaks that I don't think are acceptable, but I will work with my dealer to have them resolved.
I can't imagine it is cost effective for Ford to have to repair all of these things after the fact and it doesn't seem to be a very smart way to run a business, period.

The fact that I still love the car says a lot for the people who put their heart and soul into designing it and getting it built(not building it). I am thankful for Team Mustang and the Management that had the foresight to go ahead with this project!

Stepping down from soap box!

Eric

·
Registered
762 Posts
So is there any way at all to bring these complaints directly to the attention of Art Hyde in a formal message. I believe that we are the representing Forum for Bullitt owners judging by the number of posts and registered members so I believe we would have a very strong voice. Ideas??? Suggestions???

·
Registered
762 Posts
Okay, I'm going to go through allthe posts and threads and try to consolidate the major complaints. Then I'll compose a little e-mail to Mr. Hyde and see if we get a response. I'll let everyone know when I do it and the response if there is one. Wish me luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts