Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took the Bullitt to the Orlando tonight. Needless to say I am very disappointed. I have had fast cars and done a lot of street racing in the past, but never been down an actual drag strip (Don't ask me why). It was typical Florida weather, about 85, humid and the track was like ice. But after reading JB Vobra's post, there is no excuse for this.

I pulled the car in after the 45 mile trek to the strip and made the pass soon after. I surprised myself cutting a .617 light. 60' was 2.31. My dumbass shortshifted 2nd and proceeded to light them up. 1/8 mile was 9.72 (laugh away) 1/4 mile 14.92 @94.01 (I let off before the traps :sad: ) Figured it couldn't get much worse.

But it did. Second and last run of the evening, the car had about 30 minutes to cool off. Got ready to do a little tire cleaning in the burnout box and had to wait for them to clean a little fluid off the track. I shut the car down while waiting. Cranked it back up, went to powerbrake a little and the car grabbed and felt like it was hooking. Got to the line, redlighted (.470) 60' was 2.40 spun but stopped, felt like the car was down on power, shortshift again. Ran through at a identical 14.92 @ 95.9, at which time I looked down to see the traction control was on :eek: They had already closed the staging lanes so I didn't get to run again. Probably a good thing.

It wasn't pretty. A fellow Mustang owner came up to me asking about it. I was so embarrassed. I told him about the 14.92 and he says "thats not bad, my Cobra just ran 15.0's so I parked it". A GT owner told me the best he could muster was a 14.95 all night. Apparently the track was **** tonight. But there is no excuse for this.

I will try it again, but can't imagine being able to get the Goodyears to ever hook.

·
Registered
509 Posts
You're not the only one fellow Bullitthead! Did the same thing, only not at the strip. I wish there was a way the function of the stupid button could be reversed so we would have to turn it "on" not "Off" all the time.
Has anyone figured it out?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have no problem with it because I pretend it's an "Afterburner" button, so when I want to play around, I turn down the volume & hit the Afterburner. Works for me.

·
Registered
586 Posts
That's perfect, rancorkeeper! I'm going to put a lable on my Traction Control button that says "Afterburner!" Won't the Chevy boys want it now!

·
Registered
393 Posts
01GTB, did you lower the tire pressure in the rears any? The first time I went to the strip I jumped right in line and promplty ran a 14.3 at 98 with no cool down. My 60ft was like 2.35.

I scratched my head, got over to the pits and checked the psi. 40 plus in the tires!! I let the car cool, dropped the rears to 25psi and went on to a 13.9 at 101 the next pass.

Make sure you drive around the water, clean the tires pretty good in first gear, and stage around 2500. Slip that clutch until it hooks up and gun it.

Another tip, watch out who is running in front of you. If it's some yahoo that goes straight through the water with some cheesy burnout, you're probably screwed. All that moisture will still be there when you come up. I try and follow the big boys who are laying down the serious fresh rubber. Get right in their tracks and follow the groove out of the hole.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no clue what the air pressure was, but the 14.92 has me pretty rattled. I am gonna take the car to the track again maybe next week. If it produces similar numbers, I will go have it dynoed. The car honestly doesn't feel that fast, and hasn't since I got it. I am used to the 5 liter's tire shredding torque, so maybe I am misreading something. I really hope the first was a blown run and the second was effected by the traction control. It just felt lazy. It just seemed like I was waiting an awful long time to shift between gears. Usually a fast car keeps you busy.

On a side note my Dad picked up an 89 5.0 Coupe today. The car has no mods and feel like it would easily beat my Bullitt. I ran a newer C5, 6 spd vert with the 89 from a stoplight and I stayed right with it. Granted, the chick driving it could probably smoke my ass if she wanted. But my point is, I don't think I would have even tried it with the Bullitt. Maybe it has something to with it being a $2500 car vs. a $25,000 car. But when I bought my 87 new new at 17 years old I wouldn't have hesitated to race it. The 5.0 makes you feel like a punk kid that can knock off any foe.

We'll see what it does next time. Thanks for the pointers, I will surely check the air pressure next time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-08-16 22:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-08-16 22:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too went to the Orlando Speedway. 1st run really sucked! Launched @ 2300rpm, thought I was going to hit the wall! The track was like driving on ice! Second run was alittle better. I lowered the tire pressure to 20psi. Launched around 1500rpm. Hooked up much better. I was able to get in the track of a pro street Cutlas or something. Anyway much better. The other lane hard a GT on the bottle. He had a better reaction time, but he only beat me by half a car length! I will give it a try again with 100 octane & maybe a better night.

·
Registered
372 Posts
are you going to be at orlando this coming weekend? i'm from maryland but i will be in port orange for a couple of days this week. i'm planning on heading to the track. hope to see a fellow bullit owner although i won't have mine with me

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 2nd run was only 1/8th mile, had 9.74 @ 78mph. Last run was 1/4, 14.55 @ 98mph. I need more practice. I'm planning to make this weekend.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I dont know if i got an odd bullitt but mine definitely feels fast! I had a friend in high school that had a 89 LX 5.0 and this Bullitt is wayyy faster than the 5.0. 2nd gear in the Bullitt is just plain nasty and the torque is impressive. I have heard rumors about higher number Bullitts being faster than the lower number ones but maybe you just got a lemon. Im gonna get mine dyno'd in the next couple months but i am entirely satisfied by it so far.

·
Registered
112 Posts
At the track I have run against a 91 vett, my time 9.32 his time 9.46 : ) a 94 gt with spray he he i win again 9.34 against his 9.52, and against a cobra 98 running 9.92 he didnt know how to drive
and a 90 lx, my brothers car and my fav person to race and what made me mad is he won : ) he ran a 9.63 and i did terrable with a 9.69 needles to say i am stock he has 4.10 gear and a shift kit and soon to have a paxtin novi 1000 i think ill stay away from him until i do some mods

1 - 13 of 13 Posts