Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the rattle...I've read through nearly all the posts on IMBOC discussing the dash rattle and am completely stumped on where mine is coming from. It's the type that another member described as a pencil tapping against a desk at a very rapid pace. I'm thinking it might be generating from some other place in the dash that others might not have had an issue with. Here's what I've done with no noticable change:
- Pressed against every panel on the dash
- Placed felt behind each air vent trim panel where the panel rests against the dash. This includes the center trim panel (the one with two vents). That involved removing the passanger side air bag, (surprisingly easy to do.)
- Wiggled each air vent with vehicle in motion; turning them upside down, closing them, etc.
- Checked the small panel behind the inside door handle
- Drove around with various panels removed (instrument cluster bezel, access panels, etc.)

Anyone know the missing link?

I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer soon just for this, it's driving me nuts. The only time it's quiet is on a glass smooth road. If the road is even the slightest bit grainy, the rattle goes off.

On a totally different note, what is this mini speaker-looking thing next to the dome light?

·
Registered
930 Posts
There are loads of cables and stuff lurking back there - it could be any one of them vibrating against a panel or the back of the radio unit for example...the only thing would be to pull the trim and tape everything up...

The 'speaker'-looking thing is, I think your active alarm system sensor...

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
donland23 said:
On a totally different note, what is this mini speaker-looking thing next to the dome light?

It's "Big Brother" keeping tabs on all of us Bullitt drivers. :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
Zeke said:
It's "Big Brother" keeping tabs on all of us Bullitt drivers. :D
FYI. I took that overhead lamp cover off and disabled the camera and microphone. Just have not found the hidden GPS yet.

Hey, don't laugh too much though. George Orwell's 1984 may be down the road with all of the One People, One Planet, One World Economy, One World Peace, One World Whatever spewing out of certain politician's mouths.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
donland23 said:

That's the speaker for the optional "rattle-sound" system. Most people don't bother to check that box, as it's a $599 option...............

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The source of the rattle has been found! Since I had Monday off, I took it to the dealer and went for a drive with the technician and he heard it instantly. They called me back a few hours later saying it was my garage door remote the whole time! I confirmed this when I drove it again by throwing the remote in the console. No rattle. Sheesh.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Pop open the remote and put cotton ball from end of Q-Tip under each button. This will stop them from rattling and you can put it back on visor...I did this to mine a while back but didn't think of it when I read earlier post...sorry.:frown:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Damn! I Bet Mine Is The Same!!!!! Arghhhh!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.