Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,
I am about 5 days out from owning a Bullitt. Now, I am looking for your favorite tips and tricks. Favorite bolt on. Favorite upgrade. HP and gas mileage gains too! What to look for before I drive off the lot, etc.

About the car:
'08, HG, build no. 36xx, HIDs, Sat radio, anti theft, Shaker 500. Approx 36 miles - of which I drove 20 during the test drive.

About me:
Soon to be ex-BMW driver. Driven and autocrossed them since since 1984. Been President and held every other position in the local BMW club. I am a pretty good mechanic - but you can't do much to the new cars. I drive about 25k a year (70/30 hwy/burbs). I don't sell a car until it has 150,000 on it. The last Ford in my family was my Dad's brand new 1974 Maverick Grabber (please tell me that Ford makes a better car today than they did then!!)

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Bob, Welcome to Bullitt ownership (almost)! I'm about 6 weeks and 1750 miles into mine and I really like it. I too am a BMW owner-really love them, too but they're quite different beasts than a Mustang. The one add-on I've done is a plenum cover, available from Ford that fits (strangely enough!) over the intake plenum. I was going to start a thread w/ my various "Bullitt musings" w/ some photos tonight but I got tied up on the phone and was too tired to download photos when I was finished. I'll try tomorrow. Are you getting yours locally or "cross country" as several of us have done? Good luck w/ the delivery!

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
I have 3 add ons
1. tinted windows
2. 10 coats of wax
3. case of beer

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Short shifter and properly sticky tires

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
BlackPony said:
I have 3 add ons
1. tinted windows
2. 10 coats of wax
3. case of beer
I agree!!:lol:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome, Bob. :)
Keep it stock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!
I will read and re-read the engine break in procedures, thanks
I bought locally through a friend
BEER! Now if I was driving the BMW it would have to be imported but with a Bullitt I am thinking something old school and American!
Tint - a must!!
Is there a shorter shifter than the Bullitt oem?
A shorty antenna is a great idea, and will be ording one (blk) soon, thanks.
mud flaps seem a bit odd for this car BUT my next door neighbor has a gT500 and it came stock with some small flat rear flaps that don't look bad at all - ordering a pair soon.

My intended purchases beyond your helpful suggestions:

During break in period:
-3M clear film protector for front and rocker areas
-light set of pulleys for more HP!
-Nice set of floor mats for cruising and shows and a trunk mat too
-plain, wheel center caps
-upgraded speakers for the rear deck

Post break in:
-Headers
-synth oil

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming if you see anything that looks good!

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Funny to hear from ex-BMW owners. I had a 2004 325i myself. It was a beautiful car, but the difference in character between it and the Bullitt is huge! And the Bullitt wins the comparison hands down! Some may call the BMW the "ultimate driving machine", but I found the experience too cold and efficient. I always felt safe and knew I was in a classy car, but ultimately I lost interest. Not emotional enough.

The Bullitt is one emotional driving machine!!! :) :) :)

Steve

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Congrats on the new Bullitt. My brother-in-law ia a die hard BMW guy. Nice cars, but not for me. You will notice a major driving difference. Not better, but different.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
On my 01 Bullitt I installed the rear splash guards, took them off and had them smoothed and painted body color. They were hardly noticed by anyone and looked like they belonged there. Did save on dirt and chips on the bottom of the panel.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
sammy01 said:
Ok guys,
I am about 5 days out from owning a Bullitt. Now, I am looking for your favorite tips and tricks. Favorite bolt on. Favorite upgrade. HP and gas mileage gains too! What to look for before I drive off the lot, etc.

About the car:
'08, HG, build no. 36xx, HIDs, Sat radio, anti theft, Shaker 500. Approx 36 miles - of which I drove 20 during the test drive.

About me:
Soon to be ex-BMW driver. Driven and autocrossed them since since 1984. Been President and held every other position in the local BMW club. I am a pretty good mechanic - but you can't do much to the new cars. I drive about 25k a year (70/30 hwy/burbs). I don't sell a car until it has 150,000 on it. The last Ford in my family was my Dad's brand new 1974 Maverick Grabber (please tell me that Ford makes a better car today than they did then!!)

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
If I decided to go EURO again a BMW is what I would buy, had an older 528I and loved it at the time. Now I wanted American Muscle, (More Fun) even if not as refined, though the 08' are improved in that area. Enjoy
P.S. No ideas I like them stock.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Brake-In...Smake-In

I had the friggin' salesman clutching the dash on the test drive (I ain't kiddin' either)!! Don't baby it...that's what warranty's are for. If something isn't right better to find it out up front. Drive it like you stole it. I put Mobile 1 after about 1K, some say regular oil first change then full synthetic. Enjoy it brother....life is short!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wheelman said:
I had the friggin' salesman clutching the dash on the test drive (I ain't kiddin' either)!!
When I bought my 03 SVT Cobra , my wife and I both test drove a GT 1st, then the SVT. In the SVT, with the top down, salesman in the backseat holding the dealer tag since the magnets wouldn't hold it on, and my wife driving, she left the dealer's lot in a cloud of smoke from the tires all the way through 1st and then 2nd. He was white as a ghost when I looked back to see if he was still there. When we returned, my wife said buy this one, that she would never be happy with the GT's performance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got it!
Not only have i driven BMWs all my life but I have trashed one in a massive end over end, three roll, land on my roof accident. And I walked away with a scratch on my finger.
I like fast! I love safe!

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. When I get the mods on I'll post some pics!

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Here comes another Bullitt .............

sammy01 said:
Got it!
Not only have i driven BMWs all my life but I have trashed one in a massive end over end, three roll, land on my roof accident. And I walked away with a scratch on my finger.
I like fast! I love safe!

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. When I get the mods on I'll post some pics!
Hi Bob,

I think you will like and Enjoy the Bullitt.

I have had many BMWs over the yrs myself.

2-M3's
3-M5's
Turbo 320

and a few Normal ones.

Look forward to Reading Your Comments/Review once you have the Bullitt for awhile.

Terry

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you Terry!
Good to see a number of Bimmer fans on this forum. Makes my decicsion to buy one even easier.
I had a '73 2002tii put 274K on it, a euro 320i (this is the one i trashed), a '89 325is and sold it with 125k on it, and am trading an '98 528i with 175k.
Making the decision to go with Ford has not been easy but the more I read this forum the more comfortable I am.
Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.