Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had my first opportunity to throw the Bullitt brakes into hard lock action. Everything else I have heard is measuring braking distance on the skid pad, etc.

Today coming home along the lake (2 laner, no shoulder), I was being good at 65 on cruise. As I came closer to the boat ramp/parking area, I saw a red minivan readying to pull out but completely stopped. Being a defensive driver (what ever happened to those ads?), I kept my eye on it but that's all I felt was necessary.

As I got closer I could see the driver looking the other way rather than both ways, and just that quick it started to pull out towards me.

I hit the hard slams full on and horn at the same time, pointed the car slightly to the other lane (in case - thankfully no oncoming traffic). I dropped from 65 to around 15 in an instant! Although, I didn't have to come to a complete stop (the minivan heard the horn and stopped at about halfway out in my lane), if I would have had to, I would have made it! :exclaim:

It happened fast but I wasn't conscious of the ABS pulse to the brake pedal. Then again, I was on 'em hard! I did hear some tire screeching, but there were no skid marks. My only other experience with ABS was a pair of Saturn's but I only locked them up on snow (usually for fun) and could feel it in the brake pedal. None of my other vehicles would have stopped in time.

Ford engineering got it right again! No need to upgrade anything! :smile: :smile: :smile:
(Didn't even need red calipers! :wink: )

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
You are kiling me with this RED calliper thing! I wonder if the callipers were painted on the movie Bullitt? I know they are on the 08/09! I cleaned mine Fridey morning! The red ones and the anthracite ones both!
:lol:

By the way I have had to try the brakes on both cars and from experience I can say THEY SURE DO STOP GOOD!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Glad to hear that you're fine.

Nothing quite like a good emergency braking situation to get the heart pumping...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.