Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried a set of 17 x 10.5 wheels on the front of a bullitt? specifically, wanting to know if they clear the brakes and can turn within the wheel well. i'm assuming they rub the fender lining and probably parts of the sway bar. or, has anyone tried, and been successful via fender rolling?

i know the 95-ish cobra-r's typically clear the PBR's, but wondering if anyone's tried these big sizes, and in any other types of wheels. wanting to run 315 hoosiers front and back for autocross.

thanks, Luke.

·
Registered
967 Posts
although i don't have a problem with my 275's rubbing i think people on here have had that problem. that being said i think i can pretty much guarantee that 315's won't fit. i could be wrong but i think that is too big for the front. I think 295's (assuming they fit) would be plenty big for autocross for the front of the car

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually, the reason i ask is most guys are running CCW 17 x 11's at the national level with 315's (hoosiers which tend to run gigantic), but those wheels cost in the region of $3k a set, so wondering if a set of wheel replica's might fit. could be that they don't and CCW has some sort of special, expensive wheel mojo to get them to fit. i'm happy to roll the fenders too and cut the fender lining (if that's legal), but thought i'd ask if anyone has tried. even just for a lark.

could also be that a pretty beefy wheel spacer is needed. it may be something i need to try myself, but if anyone's had a go, i'd really appreciate your knowledge.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Someone on here used to run 10.5 all the way around but it has been sometime since I had seen there pic on here. Can't remember what size of tire he used to run.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I've run both 18x10's with 315's and 17x10.5's with 315s and no rubbing or problems whatsoever

EDIT: woops just realized you said front.....the biggest I would run on the front would be a 17x9 with maybe a 295 tire....I run a 275 myself and its pretty much perfect

·
Registered
967 Posts
ya i think that a good tire will be fine at 275 or 295. I would go with 275's probably because my dad road races his mustang and he has 255's (maybe 275's tops) all the way round and he does fine with that. but thats just me. i think anything bigger than 275 may do more harm than good.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, for road racing 275's seem to be the rule. and i've been running 275's for a couple of years. but the other guys somehow manage to get 315's all the way around, but as i said, they're on CCW's (www.ccwheel.com), which are waaaaaay out of my budget. but, that said, apparently if you want to be truly competitive in ESP in SCCA Solo II you need 315's on all 4 corners. sounds crazy, but i've seen it a number of times on mustangs, but never with a set of wheel replica 10.5's. i do know a guy running 10.5's on back and 9's up front with 295's with no problems, but i'm just trying to get as much tire on the ground as possible. pretty much the name of the game in autocross.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Well I know you'll be mounting road race tires not drag radials, but I was able to fit a 315 nitto drag radial on 17x9 03 cobra wheels no problem (they went on the back not the front, but the tire did fit on the wheel)....nitto's tend to run a bit smaller, not sure what they offer as far as road course tires but it may be worth checking out

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sganow said:
You should try getting the offset and backspacing from the wheels they are running on front and see if you can find something with the same dimensions.

that's a pretty darn good idea. thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.