Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any differences at all between the Bullitt and a regular GT? There's a guy that has some 15" wheels on the back of his 01 GT and said they required no modifications, just bolted them on. He also said he bought them off a guy that had them on a 98 Cobra and was told with a Cobra or Bullitt would have to have a 1/4" spacer to clear the rear brakes.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The brakes on a Bullitt are the same as a 01 Cobra both front and rear. The ARE NOT the same as a GT.
A 15" wheel will not clear the calipers. I don't know if you can space it out with wheel spacers to make it clear.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this for the rear also? I know the fronts are the same as the Cobra, but I could've sworn I read on this site that the rears were the same as the GT. I just wanted to verify. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The rears take a thinner pad (Cobra) than the GT because the Rotor is thicker.

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
I changed the brakes (all 4) on my 04 GT to the Cobra brakes which are the same as the Bullitt except for the red Bullitt caliper paint.

The rear brakes are completely different (GT to Cobra/Bullitt). I had to pull the rear axles to mount the new brackets. Now my 04 GT has the same brakes as the Bullitt.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I just did the search for the rear brakes and found the post about the difference in pads. So that will affect the size wheel that will fit? I assumed the thickness of the rotor was offset by the thinner pads so the overall thickness or spacing would be the same. He's here local so I may see if he'll let me try them out to see if they'll clear. If not, no harm no foul I'll just go with 16's.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
itsabullitt said:
Yeah I just did the search for the rear brakes and found the post about the difference in pads. So that will affect the size wheel that will fit? I assumed the thickness of the rotor was offset by the thinner pads so the overall thickness or spacing would be the same. He's here local so I may see if he'll let me try them out to see if they'll clear. If not, no harm no foul I'll just go with 16's.
itsabullitt said:
Is this for the rear also? I know the fronts are the same as the Cobra, but I could've sworn I read on this site that the rears were the same as the GT. I just wanted to verify. Thanks.
The rear calipers are the same for the '01 GT, Bullitt, and Cobra. However the Bullitt and Cobra have rear rotors that are thicker (18 mm vs 14 mm) and larger diameter (296 mm vs 266 mm) than the regular GT. Because the same rear caliper is used on all three models, the Bullitt and Cobra require brake pads that are 2 mm thinner for each pad to offset the increased rotor thickness. And because the Bullitt/Cobra rear rotor has a larger diameter the caliper bracket is also different than the GT, and the caliper must ride further radially from the centerline of the axle on the Bullitt/Cobra than the GT. I would guess that this increased radial distance for the caliper will be what limits rim diameter.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'll probably just go with the 16" cobra R replica's on American Muscle's website. For $100 each shipped plus our dicount you can't beat it. Much cheaper than Some Welds or Centerlines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts