Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of you have been asking about this mod. Sorry it took so long. Here it is.

Step 1. Get down to the Home Depot tile department and find the floor tile moldings. They come in white, brass & silver. I like the silver but hey that's me. it comes in 8 ft. lengths for $15.

Step 2. Measure the openings in your rear grill. I did them one at a time.

Step 3. Mark your molding. Clamp it into your vice and cut with a hack saw or cut-off wheel.

Step 4. With a tin snip, cut two big points. You'll be sticking these into the styrofoam in the openings of your bumper. (UGH!!)

Step 5. Using a Dremmel tool or just plain sand paper carefully smooth the rough edges of each end of your insert. Be careful not to scratch the flat surfaces.

Step 6. While your at the Depot be sure to pick up a tube of Permatex Clear RTV Silicone adhesive. Apply generously to the points on each insert.

Step 7. Press the insert firmly into the grill opening. (UGH!!!)

Steps 8, 9 & 10. By now you'll be wondering how the he%% do you make the end pieces??? Well, you simply measure the end openings, cut your pieces, wrap these inserts in a cloth and on a hard flat surface just pound lightly with a hammer and shape the end. You can also insert the end of a screw driver or a needle nosed pliers into the insert to help with the shaping. Take your time, you've got 8ft. of the stuff.

Step 11. Apply the Permatex adhesive and press firmly into the styrofoam.
Be extra careful on these ends. It is easy to scratch the paint because of the curve at the ends so you may want to cut these pieces a little shorter than the opening as the metal will expand when you pound and shape it.

Step 12. Once you've gotten all the inserts in place, stand back and admire your work. The adhesive will fully dry in 24 hrs. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done and a cool mod that will have other 'stang owners wondering where you got that thing.

Enjoy,

Bullitt220

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt220 on 2001-09-16 13:17 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt220 on 2001-09-16 21:06 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt220 on 2002-02-02 14:44 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

That is exactly why I posted this. Be my guest and, If you have any more specific questions, feel free to email me.

Bullitt220

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt220 on 2001-09-16 15:42 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt220 on 2001-09-16 19:23 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Carl,

VERY nice work! Very creative too (I expect nothing less from you :smile: )

Can you get a shot of it from behind the car that is larger, and more dead-on (about plate-level)?

I wish I could see it in person before I do it, but a shot taken from a lower angle straight-on might help me decide.

No sweat if you can get around to it, but if you get a chance...

VERY Cool looking. Very retro.

Mike

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bullittoid,

I'll try to take some close ups for you within the next week.

The other thing that might be cool is if George from MGW could make some custom pieces for us in satin with some fake 38 caliber bullits for the end pieces.

That might be interesting.

Thanks,

Carl G.
Bullitt220

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a great mod, here's another one for the back rear grill.

Go to any local vinyl sign shop and pick up a 1" x 31" piece of reflective silver vinyl or what ever color vinyl tape you want.

Pull the push pins out from under the rear valence. Gently pull away the rear valence from the black styrofoam, peal away a corner of the backing of the vinyl tape.

Slide the tape accross the entire grill opening between the black foam and rear valence holes / back of the grills opening.

Once the tape is in place, reflective side showing through the holes, than slowly pull away the rest of the backing from the tape.
You may need to reposition the tape before affixting it to the black foam to make sure the refective tape fills all the vent holes evenly.

Once the tape is in place than reinstall the 3 push pins under the rear valence.

Now you have the color of your choice showing through the holes of the rear valence. If you choose to go with reflective vinyl tape, it will glow and be seen at night by the drivers behind you.

"SLIGHTLY COOL"

BULLITT3622

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-16 13:07, bullitt220 wrote:
A few of you have been asking about this mod. Sorry it took so long. Here it is.

Step 1. Get down to the Home Depot tile department and find the floor tile moldings. They come in white, brass & silver. I like the silver but hey that's me. it comes in 8 ft. lengths for $15.

Step 2. Measure the openings in your rear grill. I did them one at a time.

Step 3. Mark your molding. Clamp it into your vice and cut with a hack saw or cut-off wheel.

Step 4. With a tin snip, cut two big points. You'll be sticking these into the styrofoam in the openings of your bumper. (UGH!!)

Step 5. Using a Dremmel tool or just plain sand paper carefully smooth the rough edges of each end of your insert. Be careful not to scratch the flat surfaces.

Step 6. While your at the Depot be sure to pick up a tube of Permatex Clear RTV Silicone adhesive. Apply generously to the points on each insert.

Step 7. Press the insert firmly into the grill opening. (UGH!!!)

Steps 8, 9 & 10. By now you'll be wondering how the he%% do you make the end pieces??? Well, you simply measure the end openings, cut your pieces, wrap these inserts in a cloth and on a hard flat surface just pound lightly with a hammer and shape the end. You can also insert the end of a screw driver or a needle nosed pliers into the insert to help with the shaping. Take your time, you've got 8ft. of the stuff.

Step 11. Apply the Permatex adhesive and press firmly into the styrofoam.
Be extra careful on these ends. It is easy to scratch the paint because of the curve at the ends so you may want to cut these pieces a little shorter than the opening as the metal will expand when you pound and shape it.

Step 12. Once you've gotten all the inserts in place, stand back and admire your work. The adhesive will fully dry in 24 hrs. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done and a cool mod that will have other 'stang owners wondering where you got that thing.

Enjoy,

Bullitt220

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt220 on 2001-09-16 13:17 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt220 on 2001-09-16 21:06 ]</font>
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

·
Registered
129 Posts
That mod is pretty cool, but I could not find that exact moulding in Home Depot or Lowes. I found some aluminum strips that will probably work though. Just have to cut and shape it a little more. It was only $4 for a 4ft. length!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thatr looks really good!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts