Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Bullitts,
This morning went to the local Ford dealer here in Athens; this was my first chance to really examine the undercarriage (don't think she was ever PDI'd). More than a few people have mentioned that their Bullits "LEANED" more to one side than another. Mine does do.....WELL...
I started to examine the suspension system when CLEARLY saw that the RIGHT REAR COIL SPRING was badly cocked off normal angle at it's bottom centering mount. Normally their should be a "right" and a "left" coil spring (mine were both "lefts"). I grabed the mechanic, showed him, and he said it would take about an hour to fix (the shocks are removed and the the coil spring is straightened out). Is Ford cutting corners AGAIN ?!. Will find out next week if its normal to have two left coil springs and if so then just recenter the stupid thing. For all of you that have this concern...crawl under the rear of your Bullitt's and EXAMINE the left rear coil and then EXAMINE the right rear coil...the bottom of each coil spring should be centered on the bottom spring mount. This might be the reason for this "leaning condition".

·
Registered
586 Posts
Well thank you!, Dr. Bullitt! I'm going to take a look and see. I'm one that noticed this and I wondered if anyone had any specific insights into the issue. You're very perceptive and your tips are truly appreciated. I even though of swapping the left with the right to rule out variations in curve specs. I e-mailed gwsuspension about spacers, but they blew me off and never replied. Anyway, for a stock set up I'm not completely dissatisfied. I'm just looking for any improvements, if sensible and possible.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello 01GTCOUPE:
Thanks for your kind comments.
My right rear spring is about 1/2 to 1 inch of "normal" bottom center. The mechanic DID NOT know if the car should or should not have the same "side" spring on both sides BUT Ford still did a lousy job in mounting it. If anyone is interested I can take some photos of this condition next week at the dealer. I'm assuming this out of bounds spring condition could cause a uneven "tilt"
in our vehicles.

1,169 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-14 17:14, DrBullitt wrote:
Hello 01GTCOUPE:
Thanks for your kind comments.
My right rear spring is about 1/2 to 1 inch of "normal" bottom center. The mechanic DID NOT know if the car should or should not have the same "side" spring on both sides BUT Ford still did a lousy job in mounting it. If anyone is interested I can take some photos of this condition next week at the dealer. I'm assuming this out of bounds spring condition could cause a uneven "tilt"
in our vehicles.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
Photos would be GREAT!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Ray,
I'll try to take some photos sunday..as long as I can get a good view....if not, will take them at the dealership this week. The manner in which the right coil spring is mounted looks like it would cause the right rear side of the Bullitt to lean LOWER than the left side....how does yours look ?

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I also wonder if there is a mixing of Bullitt and regular Gt springs???????

·
Registered
586 Posts
Well, my springs seem to be a matched pair. They are identical, however, meaning that the pigtails point in the same direction, rather than mirror images. The higher side (passenger) does seem perched somehow differently, because the rubber grommet at the base is kinked and lifts off the lower arm a bit. I wonder if just rotating the spring might cause it to rest differently on its pigtail. Anyway, no biggie, but the search continues....If we solve it we'll all be millionaires! (Not likely!)

·
Registered
452 Posts
can some one measure teh sapce from there fender well to the tire in the rear.... the outside lip of the fender well. I am thinking that my back is goofy as well..

does your bullitt sit lower in the front then the rear????

thanks

Doug

PS I will get my info on here when I get a sec to breath.... good group though....

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,029 Posts
Nasty Bob, That was one he** of a trick to put 10-50pound bags of rock salt in the back of your Bullitt! You must have one hell of a salt habit! Where'd ya put all the beer? Must of been a lot of beer to wash down all that salt! :lol:

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I'm thinking rock salt, like they feed us in the NAVY to keep those feelings down.

1,169 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-16 22:05, Jimmy Ray wrote:
I'm thinking rock salt, like they feed us in the NAVY to keep those feelings down.

Salt Peter??? I hope not that's allot of salt.

I think he needs the salt for a water softner.

1,169 Posts
On 2001-07-16 22:05, Jimmy Ray wrote:
50 Lbs, thats alot of feelings

That's why he's called "1NASTY" :-B

1,169 Posts
On 2001-07-16 22:09, 1NastyFordGT wrote:
That salt serves dual purpose;

Breaks down that hard Nevada water and makes a sh*tload of margarita rings! :-B
Now your talking!!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's tuesday am and my Bullitt is in the shop for the right rear coil spring issue.
The parts department told me that the Bullitt
uses the SAME spring for both left and right side (same part number). Will post latter on status....I do think this poorly mounted coil spring causes a leaning of the vehicle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Mr famous moderator! I have decided to bribe the Ford mechanics when they do a good job (Biscuits etc.) This morning, the service advisor said that if my right rear coil spring was warped they would have to order another one. Also asked them to examine the car for low Freon and a fuel injecter type ticking sound coming from the engine bay (NO its not a bomb). Well,....we will find out later. Will post results.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well here is the status.
The dealer had to special order (2) rear suspension coil springs..due in a few days.
The right rear coil spring was SHORTER than the left because of its unnaturally compressed and deformed state. The mechanic said that the bullitt requires cobra suspension parts. The coils were the correct part number but due to SLOPPY STUPID mounting of the right rear, it became deformed and thusly shorter (loss of its spring rate etc.).I really think everyone with a bullitt better examine both their rear springs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts