Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my B in the shop the other day for a rear end gear oil(lube) change....the guy that owns the shop races a 99 gt...he said that the best gear oil is Royal Purple cause it has the friction stuff all ready in it.....what do you guys think?

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Has the original gear oil given you any trouble?

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
I put Amsoil in my with the friction modifier but I have heard good things about the royal purple..
:dhg01:

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
never used it, but feel it's just another one of those prodcuts with a much higher price tag with minimal, if any, gains.

A regular synthetic is just fine with little bottle of Ford modifier. 95k miles in with a change at 73k due to a small leak in the cover, and I still have 2 solid black lines under throttle ;) I personally contribute part of that to me being anal on keeping the rear tires as even as possible on PSI.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
dg517 said:
I had my B in the shop the other day for a rear end gear oil(lube) change....the guy that owns the shop races a 99 gt...he said that the best gear oil is Royal Purple cause it has the friction stuff all ready in it.....what do you guys think?
When I had the FRPP 4:10 Gears installed I had the FORD Rear End Lube & Modifier installed.

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
405 Posts
Royal Purple is some great stuff. I put it in the last 4 vehicles I have owned. I just changed my eng. oil with it and in the next month I will be putting it in the transmission and rear end. A friend did a laod test on bearing with a gen. synthetic oil and Royal Purple. The gen. failed at 600lbs and the Royal Purple at 800lbs. The test was done in his own shop.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Remember the modifier. It helps with the limited slip gearing.
The company I used make theirs out of flax seed. The film strength is out of sight. I just can't recall the name of the manufactor.
Oh, Well, we are all allowed a senior moment from time to time.
Jimmy Galloway

·
Registered
201 Posts
The company I used make theirs out of flax seed. The film strength is out of sight. I just can't recall the name of the manufactor.
Jimmy Galloway

·
Registered
201 Posts
Jimmy Galloway

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rblack4405 said:
Has the original gear oil given you any trouble?

I had no probs with the original gear oil....but...when i had the 373's installed the tech told me to run the gears for 500 miles then come back for a gear check and to change the oil....then he advised me to have the oil changed again at 3000 miles...this was the change for that......

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I understand, the gear oil from Ford has served me well for years.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I use Engineers Associate lub for the rearend and I use lub gard for the modifier because of the limited slip. Both lubricants have a very high prressure film strength. They both exceed 800 pounds.
I just know once i put it in my mustang 3374 things smoothed out in a hurry.
I also use their lubricant in my five speed. It is slick now,very slick.
Check them out on the web.
Hope I have been of soome help?
jimmy galloway

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rblack4405 said:
I understand, the gear oil from Ford has served me well for years.

I am pretty much old school...if the oem recommends that a certain product be used then that is what i use...so using a new product is somewhat unuasual for me.....thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jimmy Galloway said:
I use Engineers Associate lub for the rearend and I use lub gard for the modifier because of the limited slip. Both lubricants have a very high prressure film strength. They both exceed 800 pounds.
I just know once i put it in my mustang 3374 things smoothed out in a hurry.
I also use their lubricant in my five speed. It is slick now,very slick.
Check them out on the web.
Hope I have been of soome help?
jimmy galloway

Thanks...Jimmy......i appreciate your comments an the information.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I run Royal Purple in my Diff since change to 3.73's and have no problems or complaints.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Just changed mine and used the Motorcraft lube,with their modifier. Also changed the trans fluid with another fill of Pennzoil Synchromesh..great stuff for the T3650!

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Have no complaints, nor will I be changing from RP for all my fluids. ALL fluids in #04686 are RP. They do so much research and testing, I don't think you can go wrong. I even use RP in my lawnmowers!! :)

Ok, I'm a freak...what can I say!?

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i am running amsoil with the friction modifier and ne complants here. was looking at
rp for engine and trans so i will check into that more

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just changed my rear dif fluid 2 days ago. I used RP

1 - 20 of 20 Posts