Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My wife and I bought an 08 #5439 about two months ago.

We traded an 07 GT and what a difference.

One of the best performance cars I've driven.

My wife and I like car shows and racing, both as a spectator and a participant.

Now, after 900 miles, there is an intermittant noise coming from the rear of the car on slow, tight turns, like pulling into a drive way.

The best description I can give is a low howl or kind of a steam whistle sound.

It only happens after the car has been driven about 10 miles and then not all of the time.

It does not happen during street or highway driving.

The dealer has it now and the tech heard the sound but looked puzzled.

I mentioned the clutch packs in the rear but he said he has only replaced them in two Mustangs in the last five years. He said the Explorer was the vehicle with the clutch pack problems.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and what was ther resolution?

Thanks.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

 

·
Charles
Joined
·
13,303 Posts
kelmartech said:
Hello everyone. My wife and I bought an 08 #5439 about two months ago.

We traded an 07 GT and what a difference.

One of the best performance cars I've driven.

My wife and I like car shows and racing, both as a spectator and a participant.

Now, after 900 miles, there is an intermittant noise coming from the rear of the car on slow, tight turns, like pulling into a drive way.

The best description I can give is a low howl or kind of a steam whistle sound.

It only happens after the car has been driven about 10 miles and then not all of the time.

It does not happen during street or highway driving.

The dealer has it now and the tech heard the sound but looked puzzled.

I mentioned the clutch packs in the rear but he said he has only replaced them in two Mustangs in the last five years. He said the Explorer was the vehicle with the clutch pack problems.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and what was ther resolution?

Thanks.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

The latest TSB on the clutch pack issue is that instead of replacing the packs, add more friction modifier. If that works, great. If it doesn't, replace the packs.

This TSB did not address the 2008 when I saw it. It was very early in the production cycle though. It defimnitely covered the 2005-2007 Mustangs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Have them rebuild the rear end. It is definately the clutch packs. I had a similar noise from mine at under 1000 miles too. I could replicate the noise by driving 10-15 miles at normal speeds in traffic then took the service manager to a parking lot where I drove in tight figure 8s in both directions. Once they rebuild the rear axle and add some limited slip additive it should be good to to.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Have them rebuild the rear end. It is definately the clutch packs. I had a similar noise from mine at under 1000 miles too. I could replicate the noise by driving 10-15 miles at normal speeds in traffic then took the service manager to a parking lot where I drove in tight figure 8s in both directions. Once they rebuild the rear axle and add some limited slip additive it should be good to go.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
306 Posts
I had the same noise, bought but didn't put the extra additive in the differential (held off adding it for fear it would make the clutch packs slip too much) and now at 4400 miles I don't hear the noise anymore. Maybe it's because the temperature has dropped around here and the differential doesn't get as hot, not sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Sorry to hear your having this issue. I didn't. But had I, I would not be timid with the service dept. Print out the TSB as this is a problem with some S197's. At least the service manager will be aware that you know about it .... maybe he really doesn't. Should be taken care of IMO. Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I just got the car back tonight. They said it was the brakes and one of the rotors needed to be turned. The tech said they put chassis ears on the car and verified noise was from the brakes on one side. Drove the car home about 15 miles, did the figure eights, and the noise is gone. Not sure I believe it is really fixed, but time will tell. At least it is documented and they have admitted there is a problem.

Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
kelmartech said:
Thanks for all the responses. I just got the car back tonight. They said it was the brakes and one of the rotors needed to be turned. The tech said they put chassis ears on the car and verified noise was from the brakes on one side. Drove the car home about 15 miles, did the figure eights, and the noise is gone. Not sure I believe it is really fixed, but time will tell. At least it is documented and they have admitted there is a problem.

Thanks again.

That's great! I haven't had to go back to the dealership yet ..... yet! Hope your good to go now too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Brakes are possible as you turn you load the axle which can move in and out a little.Sometimes it will move enough to contact an unused or rusty section of the rotor with the pads under these circumstances.Hope they got it for you!:smile:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the noise came back. I talked directly to the service manager and he was aware of the problems with the clutch packs. I let him know I told the tech about the tsb but that he ignored it. I got an "I'm sorry". They got out the TSB and it said rears made before 10/2006, replace the clutch packs. After that date add the friction modifier. That is what they did and the noise has been gone since and I've put about 100 miles on it. It didn't seem to change the operation of the limited slip, but we will see as time goes on. I tried to check how much torque it took to make it slip but couldn't get a real good reading. But, the shop manual says more than 20 ft/lbs when the differential is out of the rear and it was much more than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
If you have ever taken a rear end apart and looked at the "clutch pack", especially a worn out one, the fiber/composite clutch discs are extremely thin, so there isn't much margin for wear. I wouldn't scrimp on the friction modifier.





mmdpg said:
I had the same noise, bought but didn't put the extra additive in the differential (held off adding it for fear it would make the clutch packs slip too much) and now at 4400 miles I don't hear the noise anymore. Maybe it's because the temperature has dropped around here and the differential doesn't get as hot, not sure.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,492 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are having a problem. I don't think I have heard this noise, but this is my first manual transmission car and it makes different drive line noises than an automatic. I traded in a 2007 GT also and yes, what a difference- the Bullitt is like a completely different car.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top