Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Just wanted to know what you guys are using. I currently have stock lower arms and I believe the bushings are starting to go.

On my other cars, I have been using only heim joint lower arms and it tends to be bit noisy on the street.

I am considering the two below:

Ford Performance Parts M-5538-A Ford Performance Parts Lower Control Arms | Summit Racing GT500 arms
or
FORD Ford Performance Parts M-5649-R1 Ford Performance Parts Lower Control Arms | Summit Racing Boss 302 arms

Thank you

·
Car Whisperer
20,998 Posts
whateveryou get, try for greaseable and be sure to use the right grease....not the usual grease for suspension parts...full synthetic, preferably the brand Super Lube.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I went w/ Steeda LCA's...got good deal when they were on sale.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Another great mod question, based on preventive maintenance. Our Bullitt's are aging.
Prior to getting track addicted, I replaced the OEM rear lower control arms with the Steeda billet aluminum. I went with the billet for the side under carriage bling at car shows rather than the discrete Steeda chromoly, which are $90 less, same quality. Over 80k miles and 55+ track days and no issue with the poly bushings, no increase in NVH. Came with synthetic grease tube.
But when installing the new RLCA's, also installed RLCA relocation brackets, which allow you to change the angle of the RLCA and "stop (reduce) the hop" in the rear from hard accleration and cornering, even on street driving. (With you considering the 255-45 tyres on the Bullitt rims, you will get about 3/4" wider footprint, increasing grip and potential hop.) Helps keep the rear planted.
Used the Ford Performance relocation brackets (M5650A), which are easier bolt on, rather than Steeda which are welded on. The Ford Performance brackets have 3 settings, have used the middle and am very satisfied, as BLLTT is only dropped 1/4" lower than OEM spec. The lower setting is for furthur dropped suspensions.
Looked at the specs for your choices.
M5538A is for the S197 GT500, which is a supercharged 4.6L. A lot more HP than our Bullitt.
M5649R1 is for the S197 Boss, 5L Coyote, a lot more HP and designed for track racing.
Neither mentions effect on NVH. Our S197 Bullitt is already very viseral in daily driving feel. Both optioned the non-adjustable sperical bearing ends, which are for racing and would increase NVH.
Both recommened the FP 5650A brackets.
Checked RonReam's Roush RLCA, and not listed at Roush Performance currently.
Bullit4404, Pat, our resident Bullitt crew chief reviews this!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I replaced the tired LCA on my 08 Bullitt with the M5538A and I'm happy with them for street driving. I tried the M5649R1 on my 08 GT500. They transmitted a lot of rear end noise and I went back to the M5538A.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
My story is pretty close to tossass4370. However, I got the ones with a spherical bearing on one end (and then put a coating of plasti-dip on them so they weren't noticeable). I used the Ford Racing lower control arm relocation kit on mine, too. I actually welded mine in place in addition to the bolts. My car is lowered a bit (FR3A suspension kit), so I'm on the middle hole, too. Sometime I'd like to switch them before going to the drag strip and see if it helps my 60' times, but for autocrossing and road course the middle hole is the most appropriate location. My upper control arm is also adjustable with a spherical bearing on the differential side. The other place I used the "race bushing" was on my MGW shifter. Honestly, I can't tell that it's noticeably louder from an NVH standpoint. Part of that may be to the FR500 mufflers, but I really didn't think it was too bad before they were added. I am probably lucky that my differential happens to be pretty quiet. As soon as clearances start getting out of whack I'm sure it'll howl. At 55k miles it's still doing pretty good. At this point I have no regrets. Between the 2 you mentioned, it just depends on your tolerance for NVH. I'd use the R1, as they are less likely to let it wheel hop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts