Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently bought a 01 Bullitt, #1123, a few months ago and I’m new to the forum.
I went to do a brake job with new Stop Tech rotors & pads and found the rear rotors did not fit. The caliper is hitting the rotor before the caliper can reach the mounting bracket. I called Stop Tech and confirmed the new rotors are for a 01 Bullitt and he said it sounded like I have stock GT rotors then and gave me some measurements. I also see that with these old rotors on, the dust shield sticks out about 1” further than the rotor. Does this sound like GT rotors to you guys?
i’m not really sure the proper way to correct this. Should I run the GT rear rotors and be done with it? Putting Bullitt rotors on must mean that I have GT mounting brackets for the caliper then because it won’t reach. This is all very odd to me. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 Bullitt
21 Posts
Stop Tech gave you the measurements for the 2001 Mustang Bullitt I presume. What are they. Here are the measurements for the 2001 Mustang Bullitt rotors.

rear- 1994-2004 Mustang Brake Rotors - LMR.com
-rear 11.65" Cobra, Mach 1, or Bullitt brake rotors,

front- 1994-2004 Mustang Brake Rotors - LMR.com
-front 13" Cobra, Mach 1, or Bullitt brakes,

Maybe they sent you the 13" front rotors for Bullitt .

-- The 11" GT rotors (11") / are almost the same as the 11.65" rear bullitt rotors.
In summary you need 11.65" rear bullitt rotors.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Sounds like someone might have swapped out a set of GT brakes? Show us pictures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are pictures of the old rotor vs. the new one I bought. Obviously a difference and definitely looks like, for whatever reason, my car has GT rear rotors. Why, idk?
Any suggestions on a “proper” fix?

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Maybe someone changed the caliper brackets, because the brackets bolt to the axle flanges to give you the correct diameter? I think 94-98 cars had 10.5" rear rotors. Something weird for sure.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Those rotors you took off definitely look to be the correct OD for the GT rear rotors. You are right, the why is a mystery. I have never heard of a Bullitt accidentally getting GT rear brakes, but Ford did send out some 2001 Bullitts with incorrect parts. It is not impossible. But more than likely some goof doing repairs did not know what they were dealing with and made standard GT rear brakes work. Whether they worked well is a different discussion. The "2001 "Bullitt Archieve" enclopedia" in the Forums is a great source of information, even if encyclopedia is misspelled. These are the highlights of a post I made years ago after installing Baer rotors on my Bullitt:

The Bullitt uses late model Cobra rotors front and rear. The front rotors are 13" diameter and 1.10" thick (330 mm, 28 mm) and the rear rotors are 11.65" diameter and 0.71" thick (296 mm, 18 mm). Just make sure you order Cobra rotors with these dimensions and size-wise you will be ok.

One caution, if you are changing brake pads also, make certain that you get Cobra brake pads and not GT pads for the rear. Rear pads for the Cobra/Bullitt are 2 mm thinner than a standard GT rear brake pad. This is because the Cobra, Bullitt, and GT use the same rear caliper but the Cobra/Bullitt rear rotor is 4 mm thicker. Thus each Cobra/Bullitt rear brake pad has to be 2 mm thinner to fit.

I think these numbers are correct for the regular 2001 Mustang GT:

Front rotor diameter 276 mm (10.87")
Front rotor thickness 26 mm (1.02")

Rear rotor diameter 266 mm (10.47")
Rear rotor thickness 14 mm (0.55")

·
Registered
2001 Bullitt
21 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I’m going to out on a limb here........
How many miles are on your Bullitt?
Is there a chance that the original rear axle assembly from your car was damaged and replaced with a rear axle assembly out of your garden variety GT?
Not sure how to verify a Bullitt/Cobra rear axle assembly but that is a possibility of why there are GT brakes on your rear axle.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I guess I better clarify my statement as I can’t edit my last post.

A 2001 Mustang Cobra will have IRS so I guess the real question is how do you identify a Bullitt solid rear axle assembly from a GT solid rear axle assembly other than the brakes?

·
Registered
2001 Bullitt
21 Posts
2001 GT REAR AXLE ASSEMBLY 8.8" RING GEAR is compatible with 2001 Bullitt rear. Both have ABS. Other then the brakes; you would be hard pressed to find a difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts