Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a year I have been trying to track down a squark in the rear suspension.
Yesterday, armed with trolly jacks, axel stands, and spanners I dismantled the rear suspension.
Upon removing the Edelbrock lower control arms, I found that the grease nipples had never been installed, therefore the bushing had never been lubricated.
The damed stupid part is that since we came back form the 06 Nationals, where we picked up the car, I have had 3 grease nipples floating around the buttom of my back pack.
Guess what they fit.
So all lubed up, and a new set of shock absorber rubbers I took it for a run tonight.
Guess what, absolute silence.
I find it hard to believe that after all the money David Fireburg and Hot Rod Magazine spent on this car, they were to blooy miserable to screw in 4 grease nipples.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
tell ya what, I got a squeak in my rear somewhere and my car is 100% factory back there with 8k miles. I need to get it on the lift one of these days.:(

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Well done glad you found the cause of the trouble.

I have developed a noise. Not all the time but it sounds like one of the rear brakes hanging up.
When it does it at low speed, it does not make any difference if I pull on the hand brake.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have the stock rear lower control arms, drop the front bolt that holds the rose/ball joint in the chassis rail, and make sure that the joint has not seized and that there is no wear on the bolt or the slieve that runs through the ball joint.
Have just had to replace all of these parts on my Bullitt in Australia.
Also check the top shock absorber rubbers as they have a tendancy to cut themselves to pieces if they come loose.
Most dealers will tell you that you cannot buy the top shocker rubbers separate, they are wrong Part No is SPORXR3Z1819BAA $7.42 for the top 2 rubbers washers & nut and bottom mounting bolt

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Reminds me that I suggested to you to check the top of the shocks............do you remember that?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure do.
That's when I got the run around from Ford dealers and aftermarket retailers that I could not buy the shocker rubbers without a new set fo shock absorbers, expensive fix.
I had made up new rubbers using the front shocker rubbers from one of the later model Australian Fiord Falcons.
Wasn't till I started buying parts from Honolulu Ford for some of our work F-150's that I found a parts manager that knew his way around a parts book and computer.
He located them for me, as well as genuine Mach 1 chin spoilers.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
marjenl said:
If you have the stock rear lower control arms, drop the front bolt that holds the rose/ball joint in the chassis rail, and make sure that the joint has not seized and that there is no wear on the bolt or the slieve that runs through the ball joint.
Have just had to replace all of these parts on my Bullitt in Australia.
Also check the top shock absorber rubbers as they have a tendancy to cut themselves to pieces if they come loose.
Most dealers will tell you that you cannot buy the top shocker rubbers separate, they are wrong Part No is SPORXR3Z1819BAA $7.42 for the top 2 rubbers washers & nut and bottom mounting bolt
I have developed a noise. Not all the time but it sounds like one of the rear brakes hanging up.
When it does it at low speed, it does not make any difference if I pull on the hand brake.

I have X2C upper and lower control arms. Checked all nice and tight. The top ones squeek and always have.
Rear shock bushes removed checked and re fitted.
This is not a squeek tho its more a metalic drone like a brake dust shield or the actual disc binding up..

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Have you checked the Pads? Do you have aftermarket (non Stock) rear end gears?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts