Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that "I" ever speed, but for those bullittheads who may sometimes be in a hurry here's some devices "said" to be the cure for those pesty red light camera's (revenue generating) devices showing up in parts of the country. If any of you guys have had any success with any of these please chime in.
https://www.phantomplate.com/shop/products.asp?cat=1

·
Registered
6 Posts
this product does not work, over time it turns your plates yellow which is an infraction of itself for inproper display.

Also at night when police are coming head on or behind you if your plates do not shine in their lights they may pull you over simply for that fact.

All in all you will be more likely to get a ticket (over time for colour change) or being pulled over at night (for dull non reflective plate)

A friend of mine used this on his car for a toll road and he got a letter with a photo of his plate in it the next week for not paying the toll. bottom line it doesn't work, if you really need a deflective device get the cover - but the cover may also get you pulled over or possibly get ticketed also

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I was thinking about getting one also. The stop lights around here are crappy, you get stopped at every one you cannot time them.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,301 Posts
Wheelman said:
Not that "I" ever speed, but for those bullittheads who may sometimes be in a hurry here's some devices "said" to be the cure for those pesty red light camera's (revenue generating) devices showing up in parts of the country. If any of you guys have had any success with any of these please chime in.
https://www.phantomplate.com/shop/products.asp?cat=1
I and my son were both nailed to the tune of $100 each by those pesky cameras here in Cleveland. Neither time was in the Bullitt. I just wonder if my Bulllitt license plate frame with its 1/4-inch clear plastic does anything to obscure the camera image?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Be careful,Plate covers are illegal in any form in Tennessee.Ask me how I know.:badgrin:

·
39,301 Posts
08 Shifter said:
Be careful,Plate covers are illegal in any form in Tennessee.Ask me how I know.:badgrin:
Ee-gads! I'm planning on traveling to TN to visit my buddy and his wife in Knoxville in Sept. He's a Mustang nut too ('88 T-Top) and our plans include going to the big mega-car show there. Are you telling me that I'm going to be harassed by the local police? Say it isn't so.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Plate covers, and plate spray or any other device applied to the tag is illegal in TX. Good way to get a citation, tow job and a impound fee.

·
39,301 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
Plate covers, and plate spray or any other device applied to the tag is illegal in TX. Good way to get a citation, tow job and a impound fee.
But how is a poor guy from Ohio supposed to know what the laws are in TX and TN? Surely they'd let me off with a warning, wouldn't they?

·
39,301 Posts
54deuce said:
I was thinking about getting one also. The stop lights around here are crappy, you get stopped at every one you cannot time them.
I know what you're talking about. Ever since Cleveland put the cameras in, you can't make a light no matter what. If you speed up so you will make them, you get a ticket for speeding. Something about this whole thing just seems unconstitutional to me...

·
Former Owner of 2001 DHG1557
840 Posts
This is kind of a weird thread for me. It sounds like some of you posting want to be able to blow through red lights so you don't have to stop. Maybe some are trying to stretch a yellow and get caught in the red. I think if the light turns yellow while approaching you ought to stop for the light if it is safe to do so. There are so many people that blow through red lights around here, I don't ever go on green until I check both ways. There is no excuse for it, many people get killed every year by red light runners.

If you want to hide your plate because you feel the cameras are not accurate, you need to talk to you local authorities. I will agree I don't like the cameras, I don't like big brother, but maybe in some cases these cameras actually do some good and save lives.

·
Registered
789 Posts
ZBullitt said:
This is kind of a weird thread for me. It sounds like some of you posting want to be able to blow through red lights so you don't have to stop. Maybe some are trying to stretch a yellow and get caught in the red. I think if the light turns yellow while approaching you ought to stop for the light if it is safe to do so. There are so many people that blow through red lights around here, I don't ever go on green until I check both ways. There is no excuse for it, many people get killed every year by red light runners.

If you want to hide your plate because you feel the cameras are not accurate, you need to talk to you local authorities. I will agree I don't like the cameras, I don't like big brother, but maybe in some cases these cameras actually do some good and save lives.
its not that, its that the lights were green when you last looked and then they turn red in about 2 seconds before you clear the intersection. they are awful around here about changing like that. 2 intersections so far have cameras in my **** ant little town. i always get a little panicky driving through them, and some fools almost cause accidents almost stopping on a green anticipating a 2 second yellow.

·
Registered
505 Posts
$100? That's cheap. Running a red light in Kilifornia will cost you $371. Ask me how I know. :) It may even be more now.

Stopping is a good idea.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm all for safety. Really most of the time I'm in the slow lane doing the speed limit while I watch the "rice burners" dance around me as if they were giddy little high school girls trying to impress the football team's quarterback. But lately in my area the red lights do come on awful quick and not only that but now they've got speed camera's around too! We all get on it once in awhile, othewise I'd bought a 35mpg Civc. I really didn't start this thread to try to beat the system but try to live with it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
ZBullitt said:

The fact is that jurisdictions that install red light cameras often shorten yellow lights to unsafe durations. It honestly becomes safer just to floor it and hope you make it than attempt to stop and end up in the middle of the intersection. The cameras are revenue generators, and have little to do with safety. Of course, if you run it, you end up with a ticket and little to no due process. That is, if the cameras are working properly in the first place. Many times tickets are issued falsely for barely crossing the white line, for turning right, etc. When you do get a ticket, it's "Pay up, because you don't really remember when it happened anyways so you really can't fight it." That, IMO, is unfair and violates your rights to due process. It's little more than legal extortion.

If you do complain about them, the authorities will simply nod and smile and ramble off some BS answer about how it's all in the name of safety, then proceed to laugh about all the money they rake in as soon as you leave

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
bullittgreen said:
i always get a little panicky driving through them, and some fools almost cause accidents almost stopping on a green anticipating a 2 second yellow.
Funny how when those cameras go in on a supposed "problem" intersection, the yellow-lights get shorter, and accidents and ticket-revenues increase, huh?

I read a study a few years ago that some city did - increasing the yellow to 2.5-seconds or MORE reduced redlight-runners to one or two a month, and accidents to -NIL-. Of course, that didn't generate any revenue, so they decreased the time back to 1.8-seconds - THAT bumped-up ticket "sales"................

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
helix139 said:
If you do complain about them, the authorities will simply nod and smile and ramble off some BS answer about how it's all in the name of safety, then proceed to laugh about all the money they rake in as soon as you leave
And the fact that the "care and feeding" of these little revenue-generators is often turned-over to 3rd-party, private companies that get a substantial portion of the "take" for all their "trouble", and therefore have a vested interest in catching and fleecing those dastardly "violators" in their lenses means there is absolutely no room for abuse of the system, not at all.........

/sarcasm

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm all about some safety.I'm not all about the municipalities generating revenue at our expense,In an un constitutional fashion.The no plate covers is a reality in Tennessee so be careful.Chances are they would ask you to remove it,But if you get a mean one at he wrong time you could get a ticket.I have only received warnings and finally took it off for good.I wasn't trying to hide my plate,Heh heh!Just trying to protect government property:lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts