Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking the GT's of 2759 and replacing them with the running ponies that are on the 6 cylinder cars. I think they will look good, and add a little to the retro look. I matched the new ponies up with the GT's and I know the pins are the same. So theres no worries there. I remember there was a discussion about badge removal and the way to do it. I recall it being to use a hair dryer to soften the glue and then use dental floss along the back of the badge and gently pull it away from the body. My problem with all this is, I know there will be some glue left on the body. Can someone recommend something that will remove the old glue safely without damaging the paint? Sorry for such a long post for such a simple question.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Any pre-painting degreaser from an auto paint store should work without harming cured paint. I've used this stuff for years on a lot of vehicles and never hurt the finish. Just add a wax or polish of choice over the area after you are done. Might want to test in an inconspicuous area first just to make sure the paint is not harmed. Our babies are precious you know.

7,020 Posts
Y2K16T8, did you remove your GT's? Question do they have pins? Have heard yes and no what is the true scoop. Do you have any advice for us who want to do this mod?

on your six ... DHG 1005

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have used Goo Gone safely before. It should not ruin the paint. Just wash the area of the car with soapy water after using the Goo Gone and you should be okay.

'01 Bullitt #01737 DHG
'01 Ford Escape Red
'68 Mustang Hardtop Gold

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bulittt on 2002-04-04 22:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
78 Posts
yeah, those GTs have one large pin and one smaller alignment pin beside it

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I have used "Sticker Shock" to remove dealership names. You can get it at AutoZone. I also saw something the other night at Super Wal-Mart that did the same thing. It was up near the cash registers. I posted a photo from a magazine in another thread that showed the two holes, lemme find it.

Greg

Here you go:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt3618 on 2002-04-04 23:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am still very interested in using the original 68 gt emblem. Darkhorse told me that it was angled wrong on the back and would sit funny on the body. But have dremel will travel is my motto. I figure i could sand the back down smooth and then mount it over the alignment holes of the current gt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts