Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the back deck pop up to make the passthrough hole to the trunk bigger? I have a sub box, but it wont fit through that hole or the trunk opening. I'm not sure if I just need to buy a new one or what...
thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well, you can take the back deck out but in ends up being a PITA!! You have to unbolt several portions of the trim strip and then deal with the amp rack that is mounted under the rear deck. More trouble than it is worth. My suggestion is just get a custom fit box or have an installer build you a custom piece. That is what I did!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you happen to know if it's a double din dash? I think the stock unit is a bit small for that, but I'd really like to slap a pair of DIN units in there. Any ideas? I haven't pulled the dash apart to look...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Chilli, although I would like to take credit for the clean installation but I have to give credit where credit is due. This was a professional installation. And yes, the seats are still fully functional, just not as access to the trunk anymore. And TL, just looking at the space in that dash I would say it is double din although I haven't taken it apart either. Maybe a nice cd changer and EQ with a spectrum analyzer would look good. Seperate units of course (din size). Pioneer actually has a display that matches the shade of the lights in the instrument bezel. That or maybe Alpine. Anyway, if you do make change try to get pics up. I would love to see an aftermarket system. I don't plan on reworking the Mach 460 until the system needs it. Then I might get an alpine head unit and full boston acoustics pro series components.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got an eclipse single disc player from my old car, I love it. They have a 6disc in dash single din unit that I could get for 200-300 I think...just curious if it would really fit. Guess I'll have to take the dash apart. thanks for the help

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am a complete stereo Idiot... (qualifing statment)

What will the Mach 460 and the amps push.. I mean Can I put in a box like that and the stock system will push it????

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'd probably want to add an amp to run the subs...I guess you could use the rear amps and not use the factory rear speakers. You'd have to filter out the high frequencies though. Personally, I'd add an amp just for the subs.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks for the info.. One of my buddies is a stereo expert,, I will consult him for more info.. thanks

Doug

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
That looks awesome Lok!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
OK just one more question... what size are those speakers... and a ball park figure on cost.. if you do not mind. Ok two questions... I have a set of Infinity House speakers.. the Big boys that UPS screwed up so the boxes are no good but the speakers are. Could I use those to make a box. I think ther are 12inch and also have tweeters...

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think he said those are 12's on an earlier post. I was planning on using 10's but the 12's fit pretty well.

As far as house speakers, I think that they are a bit different. Check the specs on the back of the cabinets. Impedance and all that jazz. I think it relates to the resistance native to the speakers. Most car amps and home amps are different if I remember correctly, though car amps are pretty versatile. Not really my area though.

You can get a pair of 12" car subs at best buy for under 200 bucks, plus box, amp, labor, wiring. A nice pair of subs like Lok's will cost quite a bit more. I've used cheapies a few times and they sounded fine.

You can get aluminum cones, which I think would look quite sweet in the bullitt...

·
Registered
252 Posts
OK.....I know from experience in my 97 GT that the Mach 460 will not push aftermarket speakers very well. I bought a full set of aftermarket speakers to fit in stock locations, all of them were capable of handling the power I thought was there and when I got them all installed and fired it up I found out that there isn't a whole lot in there and the Mach speakers are matched and meant for the amps. It sounded like a person singing with a pillow over their face. As far as the subs go. I went with 2 12 inch Boston Acoustics Pro's. These are aluminum basket, GIANT magnet and voice coil and poly heads. Boston's top of the line. I lost a smaller amp to these subs cause I pushed it to the max. The subs played cleanly with no distortion but the amp couldn't handle the pressure of being balls out all the time. When I replaced the amp I went with overkill. This is a precision power power class 2600. I don't remember all the specs but I think there is about 800 watts per channel. This amp pulls a lot of power. So, when I installed them in the Bullitt I added a full farad lightning cap to assist the cobra alternator and to avoid the dimming of console and head lights. This one addition to the Mach 460 is MORE than enough to fill out the bottom end even at a mid level of bass. I can control the level of bass via q-bass control. Total cost was about 1100 just for the gear. 300 per sub and 500 for the amp. Installation ran about another 500. By no means does ANYONE need to take subs as far as I did. High level bass is enough to set off your gag reflex in the Bullitt. Anyway, here are the rest of the pics from the installation.

One sub with the one side of the seat down.

Q-Bass control mounted in the glove box.

Amp rack in the trunk.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lok N Lod on 2001-08-07 15:20 ]</font>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts