Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All. I haven't procured an 08 yet but I have one in my sights locally.

Can anyone with a new one, or any 05-08 I guess, tell me how the fake gas cap is attached? I'm not a big fan of it generally, and specifically advertising the fact that this is a special understated model. Seems somewhat contradictory to me.

Anyway, can someone post what removing the cap looks like? Is it just a few nuts? Can anyone comment on what it would take a body shop to fill it? Ditto the hole the satellite antenna would leave, I guess.

I think Bullittgreen did a great job with his: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/a69stache/?action=view&current=bullitt2012.jpg I really like the flat black panel too. TIA for any input.

·
Administrator
6,216 Posts
While I personally would not remove this badge, as it is one of the Bullitt-specific parts, it attaches with adhesive and there are two holes that would need filling for the attachment points.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks for the super-fast response and picture Tony. How did you happen to acquire a Bullitt gas cap???

Yeah I understand it's one of the Bullitt-specific parts. In fact I think it's the only external badge, right? I'm a big fan of stealth mode. Wolf in sheep's clothing kind of thing. Badges, we don't need no steenking...well you get the idea. And while I'm not necessarily on track to make a Corvette look like a Corolla, it does give me a little smug feeling that I've got a secret.

That being said, I'd still have the trunk lock escutcheon and body work to deal with, so not sure I'd be willing to fork out the cash to do it. I wonder what Bullittgreen did with the trunk lock. Is there a remote trunk release?

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you really find the need to remove the faux gas cap it can be done fairly easily with some fishing line and a heat gun. Turn the heat gun on low and warm the faux gas cap (which in turn warms the adhesive) and then CAREFULLY run the fishing line (in a sawing motion)through the adhesive backing till you hit the alignment pins. Remove the fishing line and saw through the adhesive on the other side of the alignment pins.

According to Marcello at Silver Horse Racing you can also remove the faux gas cap by using a cotter key puller tool to pry the cap up by inserting the tool in the key hole and applying pressure to lever the back of the faux gas cap away from the deck lid. Personally either method scares me a bit but that why I'm not removing mine!

Here's a link to the instructions for installing a SHR rear medallion. It provides a synopsis of the steps to remove the faux gas cap.

http://www.silverhorseracing.com/Install_sheets/S197-400 Medallion Instructions.pdf

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Anyone worried that their Bullitt faux gas cap is going to get stolen? I keep thinking that this might become the target of teenage jerks (are there any other kind :) ).

·
Administrator
6,216 Posts
6t6Mustang said:
Wow, thanks for the super-fast response and picture Tony. How did you happen to acquire a Bullitt gas cap???
I was fortunate to go to AAI with a group of other Bullittheads for an early look at the '08. We all got a prize!

6t6Mustang said:
Yeah I understand it's one of the Bullitt-specific parts. In fact I think it's the only external badge, right?
Correct.

6t6Mustang said:
And while I'm not necessarily on track to make a Corvette look like a Corolla, it does give me a little smug feeling that I've got a secret.
Now that would be a trick! :)

6t6Mustang said:
That being said, I'd still have the trunk lock escutcheon and body work to deal with, so not sure I'd be willing to fork out the cash to do it. I wonder what Bullittgreen did with the trunk lock. Is there a remote trunk release?
I know on the MRT Interceptor, this was done (removed the gas cap, fill the holes, left the trunk mechanism functional). The trunk is opened exclusively with the trunk release on the key FOB.

·
Registered
789 Posts
the instructions martimus gave are right about removing the "gas cap". heat it up first. a hair dryer on high will work. just dont leave it in one spot. the 2 holes will need to be welded up and body fillered and repainted. and the keyhole too if you want. the keyfob i have has a trunk opener on it so i dont need a key. as long as the battery doesnt die! you'll need to weld up the quarter sized hole the antenna sits in on the fender too. the whole fender will probably need to be repainted. and you can put in a hidden antenna under the dash. or leave it off totally like i did. i never listen to radio stations anyway, since they never play any lalo schiffrin!

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
bullittgreen said:
the instructions martimus gave are right about removing the "gas cap". heat it up first. a hair dryer on high will work. just dont leave it in one spot. the 2 holes will need to be welded up and body fillered and repainted. and the keyhole too if you want. the keyfob i have has a trunk opener on it so i dont need a key. as long as the battery doesnt die! you'll need to weld up the quarter sized hole the antenna sits in on the fender too. the whole fender will probably need to be repainted. and you can put in a hidden antenna under the dash. or leave it off totally like i did. i never listen to radio stations anyway, since they never play any lalo schiffrin!
You could always run a remote trunk release into the cabin, using the same hook up point as the release inside the trunk.

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
Whammer said:
Anyone worried that their Bullitt faux gas cap is going to get stolen? I keep thinking that this might become the target of teenage jerks (are there any other kind :) ).
I believe that middle age (and elderly) jerks exist as well...at least that has been my experience as a public servant. :)

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Cochese said:
I believe that middle age (and elderly) jerks exist as well...at least that has been my experience as a public servant. :)
Isn't that true. Remember todays little old man or lady could have been part of yesterday's acid head of the free love survive on what you can take generation

·
Registered
73 Posts
... And i thought i was the only thinkn about removing the rear gas cap. Thanks for the useful info. Hopefully i get the magical call tomorrow that my bullitt is in.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
Remove the faux (that's so :-F ), it's a fake gas cap? IDK if I would. I think that I would look at painting it matte black, along with the entire area between the taillamps.:cool: That was the thing to do back in the day, and if you look at Steve's movie cars you will see that is what was done to them. Well, maybe remove the Bullitt cap and use a six bangers' to paint black.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RCSignals said:
although, didn't the movie car, at least one of the ones used, still have the GT cap?
I wouldn't have any problem with the cap if it was functional*, which it was back in the day. My beef is that it's entirely cosmetic. If you're going to de-badge the car, and that seems to be the premise behind the Bullitt to begin with, why put on a fake component and then write "BULLITT" on it? It's not horrible, I just like the "clean" look. Personal preference, and I acknowlege I'm in the minority....

This small issue I have wasn't enough to stop me from buying the car though. I picked up #477 this afternoon!

*other than the fact that it would be more likely to explode if you were rear-ended. Which would be a negative, I guess.

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
6t6Mustang said:
...My beef is that it's entirely cosmetic. If you're going to de-badge the car, and that seems to be the premise behind the Bullitt to begin with, why put on a fake component and then write "BULLITT" on it? It's not horrible, I just like the "clean" look. Personal preference, and I acknowlege I'm in the minority...

This small issue I have wasn't enough to stop me from buying the car though. I picked up #477 this afternoon!

*other than the fact that it would be more likely to explode if you were rear-ended. Which would be a negative, I guess.
I agree. My (minor) beef with the 2001 is the non-functional hood scoop...but it is a GT thing from that era. At least your fake item is smaller than my fake item. :lol:

Congratulations regarding the 2008! :)

I'll place you on the 2008 Registry here...

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146457

Just want to confirm...is 477 Highland Green or Black?

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
RCSignals said:
although, didn't the movie car, at least one of the ones used, still have the GT cap?
The fake gas cap on the 08 resembles the painted gas cap of the movie car. It was painted black in the center area, and as I recall the outer edges were left chrome.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cochese said:
I'll place you on the 2008 Registry here...
QUOTE]

my God you're fast. I had just posted that into this ridiculous faux gas cap thread, dawdled at the main discussion forum to post my good news and then went to the registry thread and found myself already there. Now that's service!

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
6t6Mustang said:
My God you're fast. I had just posted that into this ridiculous faux gas cap thread, dawdled at the main discussion forum to post my good news and then went to the registry thread and found myself already there. Now that's service!
WE ARE NOT SLACKERS!

:lol:

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
The fake gas cap on the 08 resembles the painted gas cap of the movie car. It was painted black in the center area, and as I recall the outer edges were left chrome.
For interest sake I just looked at the chase scene again. Yes the center of the cap is black. The tail lights have no chrome trim around them, but the rear panel is HG. (I ran it repeatedly to confirm this)
It is possible that one of the cars had a black painted rear panel

1 - 20 of 27 Posts