Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading a lot of the posts on this great site I see that a few of you have replaced the various heater control knobs,cruise control,headlight knob,and window buttons with the billit aluminum ones. I have ordered these from Haney Motorsports in Ca. ,but they haven't arrived yet. I was wondering just how hard it is to remove them,without damaging the old parts,and if there are any special things that I should know about installing the new ones. Any tips would really be appreciated. Black Bullitt #1768

·
Registered
123 Posts
The A/C knobs pull straight off, the headlight knob has a clip that you have to work a small flathead screwdriver into a slot at the base of the knob to get it to release.

MGW's stuff came with detailed instructions on this, don't know what Haney will send.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I love the idea of being able to further trick out the interior with these pieces. I am ordering the MGW e-brake handle today, and will add the others over time. I like the idea of the build number on the shifter knob, but I love the look of the original, what a dilemma :sad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
To remove the door switches just use a small screw driver to pry the original rocker switch streight up. they come off very easy and then you just press on the new rocker.

Pat Haney

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pat, I just got my package from UPS. Well I guess I better go open it.Thanks BlackBullitt#1768

·
Registered
543 Posts
Out of all of them the headlight switch is a bear. If you have one of those hook tools that pulls cotter pins out it works better than a screwdriver. The trick is to not pull the knob until you pull the clip forward first. It is not obvious until you get the headlight knob off an look at it.

John

·
Registered
360 Posts
I mangled my headlight switch getting it off. Putting the new one on is a breeze.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I just finished putting on my switch and this thread was helpful. It is tough, however, not knowing what it looks like so I took some pictures. I had a hard time with mine too. I got the spring loose and it moved back about 1/8" and left the groove it locks into exposed. Since I couldn't see well, I ended up trying to pry the groove loose :roll: which took me forever. Finally I just pulled harder and it came off since the clamp was no longer in its groove. Anyway, here are some pictures of everything except for the groove. It is easier for me when I know what kind of clamp/spring I am dealing with.

·
Car Whisperer
20,826 Posts
I still can't get my headlight knob off. I have felt the clip slide toward the rear of the car, but the knob does not budge. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
After you get it off, you will see what you needed to do and it will be a lot easier :roll:

If you already got the clip to slide some, make sure that you have the screwdriver on the clip and not in the groove that the clip WAS in. That is what happened to me. Otherwise, keep messing with it and it will suddenly come of.

·
Car Whisperer
20,826 Posts
I tried a small screwdriver and two different pick tools and the thing never budged. I know I must be doing something wrong but, that knob doesn't give at all. I had the screwdriverand /or pick tool in there and pulled the clip to the rear of the car (or to the head of the knob) and pulled the knob at the same time and then tried it just sliding the clip forward and then pulling and......nothing!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I used a small 90 degree SNAP-ON pick. Insert the pick behind the clip(side closer to the dashboard). Pull on the pick while pulling on the knob, should come right off.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I removed the gauge cluster on my '95 GT to check on a malfunctioning temp gauge and when I went to remove the headlight knob - I ended up messing it up. As Dee says, once you get it off, you will see how it is held on there and what you should have done to get it off. When I went to install my MGW knob in the Bullitt, I inserted the small screwdriver as before and with barely a tug, it came right off. I don't know what was keeping it on there. First time was a pain, the second time I just got lucky. All I can remember is that the metal clip angles toward the dash and sits into a groove in the stem. You have to hook this clip like these guys have said and pull down and back while pulling back on the plastic knob at the same time. It should come right off. If not, and you don't care about the OEM knob... never mind - I won't encourage that. :smile:

·
Car Whisperer
20,826 Posts
Well I have tried four times now and still nada....I don't get it. I have tried all the tricks listed and that sonuvagun won't come off. I hate to destroy it, but I have this nice new knob to put on and can't. I know that there has to be something about the clip that I am not doing...I have pushed it toward the dash, I have pushed it directly away from the dash I have put a 90 degree pick tool, under it and pulled it away from the switch and I have pushed it in toward the switch, all the while, pulling on the knob and I get no movement whatsoever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts