Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little morning drive through the streets of Paris.

This may take a while to load unless you have high speed or a T1 line.

http://bhendrix.com/wall/Gmaps_GVideo_Mashup_Rendezvous.html

Premise:

"On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit."

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I read some of the comments. Here is one:

Its a Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9 ... as in 6.9-liter engine. People have analyzed the film and said he reaches about 85mph, but that's all. However, for downtown Paris, that's still pretty god damned fast. (And yes, it really is a Mercedes. Look it up on the internet. There's also a photo of Claude Lalouch mounting the camera on the front of the car.:tongue:

And another:

ClaudioBarbato (6 days ago)

yes, actually. The noise is fake.:tongue:

For a start, the Mercedes they used for this clip has a 6.9L V8 engine, and that sound is NOT a V8. Secondly, the gearbox was a 3 speed Automatic, and you can hear five changes, heel and toe downchanges, and missing out gears, all of which are impossible for the three spead automatic gearbox.

In actual fact, the sound is dubbed, most likely from Claude Lelouch's other car, a Ferrari 275 GTB

Lelouch himself admits this.

Great video none the less...:badgrin:

And worth every minute of watching!

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well not the first time audio was dubbed into a car chase scene. He must have gotten the idea after watching Bullitt. :lol:

I had read elsewhere that he never exceeded 86 MPH but as you point out that is still pretty damn fast for Paris and running red lights and going down one way streets the wrong way just adds to the mayhem.

All they need is some French police chasing him and it would have been all the more fun.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I noticed right away that he didn't really seem to be passing cars that fast. Either they were hauling buns or he wasn't going that fast. That's probably as close as I'll come to seeing Paris, though. :grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts