Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I occasionally peruse the national ads for vehicles and read the forum here, I often see many Bullitt's listed for sale or people contemplating selling their prized possesion. I know there are many reasons why people choose to let go of their McQueen history, some I'm sure have no choice, which is unfortunate.

Honestly, I can't even imagine letting DHG #4930 go. From the day she came off the truck wrapped in plastic, and even today, 16,000 miles later, I still have that same feeling when I crank her up! I occasionally still peek in the garage in the evening to see the fluorescent lights reflecting off the DHG paint. I still get comments from people at the gas station, parking lots and various stops around town. Thumbs up on the road are received from people in various makes and models. Heck, I get comments from 12-year olds who say that they dream of owning such a machine someday. How in the heck could I possibly part with her? I've even had Richard Petty, The King, in 4930...and got his signature inside the glovebox. Even he is awed by this beautiful Stang and knows its history.

It is my belief that someday, way down the road, that the Bullitt will be a classic, highly sought after by many. No, not today, nor tomorrow, but just maybe by our children or our children's children. It is my wish that I have 4930 until I can no longer drive her. Until that time, I will be doing everything I can to keep this car in the family. Maybe, just maybe I won't be one who say's "Yeah, I owned a Bullitt years ago...if only I had hung onto that car!"

Cheers,
Steve

p.s. If any of you need to get your Bullitt juices flowing again, simply read the excellent articles (from awhile back) below and let the words and pictures remind you why you purchased the Bullitt in the first place.
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/96679/index.html
http://www.hotrod.com/eventcoverage/9394/index.html
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/14938/index.html
http://www.stangnet.com/bullitt/indexpage1.htm
http://www.thecarplace.com/bullitt.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt_Buyer on 2003-05-28 20:31 ]</font>

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
That is a great write up, almopst made me cry... I think yoiu deserve the nobel prize for writing it, but of course, I am biased on that topic...

~Colby

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Those are some great thoughts Steve. There are a few cars I’ve owned in the past and parted with only to wish I had them today. It’s natural for the newness of the Bullitt to wear off and newer cars to catch our imagination but like you, I keep admiring the Bullitt to this day. The subtle body changes, no wing, sound of the engine and stance of the car just keep impressing me. For myself, I’m sure I would regret selling the Bullitt if I ever did so I’m going to try my best to keep it as long as possible.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
A long time ago I was the proud owner of a 69 GTO Judge. As I recall, it was about as rare , in its first year of production,( Mine was colour #57.Dark green metallic. Very rare) as our Bullitt. It was a little overpriced compared to other muscle cars, but it was distinctive. Some say it was in poor taste, as the name came from a weekly skit on a T.V. show called "Laugh In".Anyway, I got rid of the car in 83 and regreted it ever since. The car is more sought after than the run- of-the-mill GTO's. Conclusion: Drive it! Enjoy it! Keep it!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Everytime I look at 2532 I feel like Ford designed it especially for me. It fits me like my favorite shirt. 2532 isn't getting replaced by anything "new and improved".

Reactions: Marguerite

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the kind words. Your follow-up comments are right on. The car is totally unique and subtle at the same time...looks, handling, performance and sound are incredible! Sure, I wouldn't mind a few more ponies under the hood, (the most common issue) but I'm not complaining...I got exactly what I wanted and expected.

My father still utters that phrase as he recalls his '70 Tornino with a 429CJ.

When I was 17, I owned a flawless '69 Buick GS400. That would look pretty nice sitting next to the Bullitt today. (I still keep an eye out for the early GS's, GSX's, and later GNs...love those cars!)

Anyway...just wanted to share my thoughts with an awesome group of people here at IMBOC.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
965 Posts
Amen to that , brother. :smile:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Does anybody have a tissue?

Somebody finally put into words that "feeling".....thank you. I can't ever get near my dad without him telling me the story of the 66 Mustang he had that a drunk smacked one night and how he figured it was just easier to go find something newer than repair it.......I swear he gets tears in his eyes.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the links! Very KEWL. I'm with you. I can not see letting 227 go. But hey it is back in the Body Shop again :wink:. Monday or Tuesday I get to go visit my car again. It should be done a week from tomorrow;-)... I can tell you this much. I really want my car back<G>. Driving the wife's old 89 Honda is just not the same. I even rev up the engine but no one can hear it:)

Thanks again for the links.

Bud

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I imagine my still yet unborn son admiring my Bullitt when he grows up....I would love to give it to him for hi 16th b-day...well, maybe 26th!!

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Bud, we are all waiting for your car to come out of the shop too. Be sure and post tons of pictures. I am interested to see how it looks on black.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bud,

What's 227 doing in the Body Shop?!?!?! I must have missed something!

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
141 Posts
Got the garage queen out and blew out the cob webs yesterday and stopped by one of our local Ford dealers. They had 2 Mach 1's, one red and one black and both 5 speeds. This is the first time I ever had 2853 next to a Mach to compare it. I must say I would love to have a Mach1, but the Bullitt stays, anything else is an addition not a replacement.
P.S. Both Mach's MSRP is around $29,500 and the sales manager said he would deal on them. Sorry all you guys that paid the primium.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vabchbullitt on 2003-06-02 08:28 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm with you on that! I too love the Mach and the new Cobra, but the Bullitt will always be in my garage. Price was a big factor when I purchased 4930...($24,700). All three cars are awesome...I simply like the Bullitt a bit more when all factors are considered. (Price, looks, performance, limited availability, unique history, etc.)

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
227 had some hand prints come through on the bumper both doors and both fenders. Paint rep is footing the bill for this one :wink:. Oh yes and some Flames on the car. Last Wednesday they told me I would have something to look at Monday or Tuesday. Well it's 6:15pm here in CA and still no call. I guess I have to call them tomorrow and see what is going on. Car was supposed to be done Friday, but I am guessing it won't be :wink:. Still driving the 89 Honda. 2 Fast 2 Furious<G>.

Bud

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Here is a pic of the drivers door and you can see the hand print :wink:.

Bud

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TTT...I posted this a couple of years ago. Once again, it's time to "renew the passion!"

After nearly 4 years, I'm still excited to get in the Bullitt or to simply gawk at it from a distance. Life is good! I'm very thankful that I still own 4930.

We're moving in a few months and going to purchase our first home. (living in military housing for the past 18 years). I'm going to do everything in my power to keep the Bullitt. Can't imagine moving into a new home without being able to take a peek at the Bullitt in the garage. I just cringe at the thought. Besides, my daughters would disown me if I sold 4930. :grin:

Anyway...just wanted to renew that Bullitt passion once again.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Premium Member
6,274 Posts
From the second Hot Rod link at the top of this thread:

"Bullitt badging inside and out identify the car, as does its trademark Dark Highland Green color. Blue and black exterior colors will also be available, though we’re not sure why in hell anyone would want a "Bullitt" Mustang in anything other than green. The Bullitt add-on package will carry a MSRP of $3,695."

I have never heard it put quite this way before.
Go Black! Go TB! Go DHG! Gotta love 'em all!

LiveStrong
PhotoRick

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
This is the closest I will ever have to owning a HG 68 fastback that I've wanted since I was 11. That is, until I actually get an HG 68 Fastback! My son is worried that I will sell my 66 Lemans to do that (which I will), that is the car he wants. He has shown no real interest in the Bullitt. That's fine and dandy with me, as I am not going to sell this car and I won't have him pestering me for it when I'm 80!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts