Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Replace coilovers: Koni Sport/Eibach springs?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  banzaibullitt 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Figured I'd see what everyone thinks of my suspension situation. Currently the car has alot of upgraded suspension components - Pedders coilovers, GT500 control arms, panhard bar, rear sway bar, rear control arms, end links, probably something else I'm forgetting.

The issue I'm having is the car doesn't feel great with turn in, while cornering, and high speed stability is "wonky". I'm thinking alot of it comes down to the alignment, but also I'm just not sure about these coilovers. I adjusted them to be a bit softer so it didn't feel like the car was going to break in half, but they don't inspire confidence in even moderate cornering.

I was thinking about going with some Koni Yellow (sport) shocks, and Eibach springs. I've seen that as a kit/bundle a couple places. I was thinking this, and some camber bolts for the front to help get things dialed in. With my previous 08 car I had the factory suspension other than a panhard upgrade and GT500 front control arms and it felt comfortable, and stable at higher speeds.

Any other suggestions for a mildly comfortable, but stable setup? I don't need the ultimate in handling performance, just something stable and driveable. PA roads are... terrible 😂

See less See more
#2 ·
me, personally, I have never liked coil overs for the street. good lowering springs and shocks/struts provide plenty of great handling and better ride quality. just my opinion though.

#4 · (Edited)
You are suffering from the law of unintended consequences of vehicle modifications, especially with the mix of suspension parts and how they are set. And the rear end may not be aligned with the front.
First, what is your intention with your Bullitt. Is it a daily driver, weekend fun in the PA back road twisty's or a road course runner?
Before you throw more parts at Bullitt, find a good speed shop and have them try to dial in Bullitt with what is there. You have a bunch of aftermarket parts that may not be working together. It may be as simple as coilover adjustmant, camber bolts, and adjustable panhard bar. Your described problems are not springs and shocks/struts.

#5 ·
Definitely more of a weekend fun car, with moderate handling ability. I don't think the car will ever really see road course use. I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine who said something similar as you have, basically keep the parts and get an alignment first before anything. I suppose I will start there. The rear end feels actually fairly stable and provides good traction on launch without wheel hop or anything. I think the issue lies mostly in the front but I should probably have the rear looked at as well.

Back in the day I had a civic I threw a bunch of suspension parts at, and even dialed in the camber myself with a measurement tool. I could also look into a tool like that again perhaps.

#7 ·
quick update. For now I ended up bringing up the front almost 2 inches. The front was very low, the tire was into the fender basically. I raised it enough to be level now with the back, with about a 2 finger gap (at an angle) between fender and tire. I'm taking it tomorrow to get aligned with a new set of camber bolts I purchased.

The camber plates that work with the pedders coilovers require cutting of the strut mounting hole to access the adjustments. I wasn't really a fan of that idea so I'm hoping the camber bolts are enough. Depending how this ends up feeling I also have a bumpsteer kit on the way that I could take to a more specialized shop I found to install.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.